Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

Pete Presland

Venus in UV 14.06.2018

Another session on Venus, but the conditions were pretty decent again. Captured in daylight, at an altitude around 30 degrees.

The usual set up, C9.25, Asi290mm, X1.8 Barlow & Baader UV filter. 15,000 frames captured, stacked 10% Some nice detail visible again, slightly different view again.

Stacked in A/S2, sharpened in CS2

197936858_2018_06_1419.36BaaaderUVfilter.png.da7c8e692448589e84e10d57c2f7c65d.png

• Like 18

Some really nice cloud detail here Pete, good image.

Angie

• Like 1

Nice work Pete. Well done! I was observing Venus yesterday visually for a while (along with Mercury too). Used a polarising filter on my EP and was convinced I could see some slight detail in the clouds using it, but whether it was just wishful thinking I’m not sure.

• Like 2

Another great Venus image, Pete. I love what UV reveals.

Reggie

• Like 1

You have certainly mastered imaging Venus Pete. Thats another cracking image captured during daylight.

• Like 1

Nice.

I'm waiting for a clear night followed by a clear day so I can have the confidence to leave the scope parked but set up, ready to slew to Venus in late afternoon.

• Like 1

On 15/06/2018 at 18:06, Knighty2112 said:

Nice work Pete. Well done! I was observing Venus yesterday visually for a while (along with Mercury too). Used a polarising filter on my EP and was convinced I could see some slight detail in the clouds using it, but whether it was just wishful thinking I’m not sure.

You probably saw something, Gus! ;) 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, orion25 said:

You probably saw something, Gus! ;) 

In that case Reggie I did see the cloud details! ;) 

• Like 2

There are plenty of reports of them having been seen with Polarising filters. I found Venus today at 2pm, in blistering sunshine, the seeing so bad a struggled to resolve the phase, let alone clouds ?  

• Like 1

Wow. Venus at 2pm! That's awesome, mate! I know it's a planet but does that qualify for solar astronomy, lol!