Narrowband

Vixen ED103S - Say Hello

I am ecstatic to introduce you to my new to me Vixen ED103S, purchased on Thursday.

IMG_3190.thumb.JPG.b799b5bb55ec7b9ffc0e02467c01bc19.JPG

I was very fortunate to take on this fine scope.
This intended to be a forever scope.
Don't be deceived by tube size, it is a 103mm aperture,  F7.7, 795mm Focal Length and very light but solidly built.
Made in Japan.

Of course it is cloudy and I am like a kid at Christmas with a new toy.
First light report when I can.

Second Vixen into my life this month!

The herd now must be thinned out as I am down to £5.76 in my Astro account, hard times.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Alan White said:

I am ecstatic to introduce you to my new to me Vixen ED103S, purchased on Thursday.

Looks lovely Alan. But isn't there something missing at the bottom end of the tube? ?

10 minutes ago, Alan White said:

IMG_3190.thumb.JPG.b799b5bb55ec7b9ffc0e02467c01bc19.JPG

I was very fortunate to take on this fine scope.
This intended to be a forever scope.
Don't be deceived by tube size, it is a 103mm aperture,  F7.7, 795mm Focal Length and very light but solidly built.
Made in Japan.

Of course it is cloudy and I am like a kid at Christmas with a new toy.
First light report when I can.

Second Vixen into my life this month!

Nice set up Alan ?

A little tip. A eyepiece in the focuser end will make the views Soooo much better ?

But joking aside , some good quality gear comes from Vixen, hope you enjoy.

Hi,

I have Sharp Eyes. I see something hiding there on the honourable nippon-steel sword-holder that you do not see. Let me take a screenshot: :D:D:D 

SushiMeme.png.48540ed576ed547fa4c0148efc196d36.png

??????

That's a really nice scope! :) What are your plans with it? Visual, imaging, or a bit of both?

John

1 hour ago, Alan White said:

Not an 8SE tripod, its a HEQ5 steel tripod.

Mmmmmm Sushi, yum, yum.  ?

Visual use, all manual in my Luddite style.

Great stuff Alan. Just need some saké with your sushi :)

Congratulations on a great scope. Was it new or pre-owned like your 80?

Welcome to the Vixen apo club Alan:hello2:?

These are wonderful scopes in every way and often underrated IMO.

2 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

103 mm, 795 FL............

Damn it looks bigger. 

Is that an 8Se tripod?

Vixen = quality.

Yes, it does look bigger, you're right Paul. The tube diameter is 115mm, so it's actually nearer to an ED120 tube than a 100mm. But it's very light and easy to handle while being well built and in Japan too.

The photo below shows mine next to my Tak FS128 F8.1, which is a large scope, similar size to an Evostar 6" F8..As you can see, the Vixen is also a large scope compared to, say, to a Tal 100 OTA.

Look forward to first light Alan, and to a comparison with your 80mm Vixen achromat too☺.

Dave

IMG_20170804_185251616-772x1372.jpg

This is an amazing telescope for visual. I owned a 115 ed that I sold when acquired my tsa120. I never did a  comparison side by side between them but, from memory, I think It could be at least as good as the tsa for planetary watching and definately better for solar. It gave me the best solar images in any of the telescope I’ve had.

10 hours ago, F15Rules said:

Yes, it does look bigger, you're right Paul. The tube diameter is 115mm, so it's actually nearer to an ED120 tube than a 100mm.....

I've been able to interchange the tube rings of my ED102SS and ED120 so I'm prety sure that the tubes are the same diameter.

Interesting that Vixen go for a relatively fat tube wheras Takahashi went skinny:

4refractors.JPG

11 minutes ago, John said:

I've been able to interchange the tube rings of my ED102SS and ED120 so I'm prety sure that the tubes are the same diameter.

Interesting that Vixen go for a relatively fat tube wheras Takahashi went skinny:

4refractors.JPG

Didn't the FC100 series use longer Sky 90 tubes? 

34 minutes ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

@John Is that SW frac, the gold one, a special edition or something? I've never seen any SW colour other than the old blue and B & W. It looks perfect for a "sellout" setup to keep the clouds away! :D 

John

The Skywatcher ED's were 1st launched in the 80mm and 100mm apertures in the blue colour scheme. Then the ED120mm and the 150 and 180 mak-cassegrains were added to the range which was re-labelled the "Pro" range and they were all coloured gold/champagne with off white trim. They were then re-branded again with the black and white colour scheme.

Archived