Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bresser ar 102 xs+Skywatcher AZ5 mount.

Hi everyone.

I'm looking for a little help, please. I bought the following scope and tripod/mount:

https://www.bresser.de/en/Astronomy/BRESSER-Messier-AR-102xs-460-Hexafoc-Optical-Tube.html

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/alt-azimuth/sky-watcher-az5-deluxe-alt-azimuth-mount.html

Im having trouble mounting the scope to the AZ5. The scope dovetail is dovetail shaped while the receiver on the mount is flat/rectangular. Can you take a look at the links above and tell me either way with 100% certainty that they can fit together or not. 

If you notice on the scope's dovetail there is a small silver metal plate with 2 screws (its only a couple mm thick). Ive seen this on some images of the scope and not on others.......so it can be removed. Im thinking if i remove it that i may be able to marry scope and mount.

I'd hate to return the scope to Germany but wouldnt mind returning the tripod/mount to FLO. Ideally i want to find a way to make this combo work. 

Also any suggestions on a fix that doesnt involve power tools would be great. 

Plenty of you good folk have said its a good combo, so it should be possible to do.

Thanks in advance.

Paul 

13 minutes ago, johninderby said:

The standard Vixen dovetail saddle is 45mm wide. The Bresser dovetail with the plate is 46.5mm wide and 44.5 with the plate removed. 

So go ahead and unscrew the plate and it should fit fine.

Eyeballing it, all i need is that couple of mm which the silver pate has. I thought i'd ask here first before taking screwdriver to scope. My micro precision screwdrivers aint up to the job. Screws on dovetail are too tight. Guess i have to venture into the shed tomorrow to find power screwdriver.

There be spiders in that shed.

Thanks again people. I knew there was a simple fix or else the scope/mount combo wouldnt have been suggested by *cough* @Johninderby.

LOL.

Thanks to you, John. I have to say that i LOVE the AZ5. Its very organic looking and the movement is oh so nice (wont be adding the flexi slo-mo controls). The scope............well............whats not to love about it really.

Cant wait to get it up and running with my Quark and also outside on a clear night when i cant be bothered with the 8SE.

Another Q:

Does it matter if the dovetail on the scope is Dovetail shaped while the part on the mount isnt?. Cant be a good fit?.

I guess when you lock it down its fine. Happy to see lots of metal screws on this scope and mount and not plastic.

35 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Another Q:

Does it matter if the dovetail on the scope is Dovetail shaped while the part on the mount isnt?. Cant be a good fit?.

I guess when you lock it down its fine. Happy to see lots of metal screws on this scope and mount and not plastic.

Looking at photos it looks as if the sides of the dovetail,saddle are sloped a bit. Not as much as the dovetail on the scope but enough to lock it in place. Also can’t find any complaints about it not holding.

• 3 months later...

Sorry to resurrect the topic but have the same issue. I rotated the focuser allright but is there a way to rotate dovetail at all? Also tried to take apart the scope to get the cell out and clean it since it is full of dust - no go it seems. I presume hex focuser is the culprit here inviting a lot of dust inside...

Archived