Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Comet 21/P

5 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

Tried for this last night without luck. Based on SkySafari data, it should brighten by two magnitudes over the course of July so I’ll keep trying to see when it becomes visible 

Tried a few times recently, tried imaging it but no sign of it, plate solve said it should be in the middle of the image but it ain't there, maybe the mag' estimate is a tad optimistic.

Dave

32 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Tried a few times recently, tried imaging it but no sign of it, plate solve said it should be in the middle of the image but it ain't there, maybe the mag' estimate is a tad optimistic.

Dave

Could be, Dave. If you’re not able to get it in an image then it’s not going to be visible visually :( May end up having to wait for astronomical darkness to return in August. Should be a lot brighter then too

I have looked over several nights with my observatory telescope, but have been unsuccessful. It is still faint and the magnitude estimate is of course integrated rather than point source. Let's hope it brightens over the next months. Lovely image by Nick too, thanks for sharing @JeremyS

• 4 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

21P/GZ is a lot brighter tonight than last time I imaged it, then  it hardly showed on the main image but tonight I can see it on the PHD screen enough to track on it.

Dave

It’s brightened since last Thursday. Was an easy spot tonight. Easily held in direct vision. Hope it keeps brightening like this :) 

Archived