Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25.thumb.jpg.f1d5d01d306644f613efd90ef96b314c.jpg

Last night I randomly woke at 3:15 and when ever I get up in the night i can't help but have a quick peek at the stars as the street lights are still off.

I noticed Mars in the south but more bright than I've ever seen it, it really stood out.  I'm wondering if this extra bright appearance might have anything to do with the colossal dust storm playing out at the moment and the particulate reflecting more light in the atmosphere?

Any thoughts.

Campbell

I too noticed how bright it was on Tuesday morning. Don't know if it has anything to do with the latest weather theremail, but am a bit doubtful of a connection. 

It was really bright (approx mag. -1.6) this morning [0250BST] when I left for work. Just above the roof of the properties over the road and still low. 

The upcoming opposition of Mars in July is quite favourable, as the distance between the planet and Earth is 'only' 56 million kilometres. This is primarily due to the eccentricity of the orbit of Mars. So this year, Mars is brighter at opposition (mag -2.57) than it was last oppositions (May 2016, mag -1.84, April 2014, mag -1.26). I suppose this is the reason why Mars is already so bright right now. I don't think the dust storm has that much influence on albedo, but I'm not sure either.

• Like 2

On 15/06/2018 at 04:41, Waddensky said:

The upcoming opposition of Mars in July is quite favourable, as the distance between the planet and Earth is 'only' 56 million kilometres. This is primarily due to the eccentricity of the orbit of Mars. So this year, Mars is brighter at opposition (mag -2.57) than it was last oppositions (May 2016, mag -1.84, April 2014, mag -1.26). I suppose this is the reason why Mars is already so bright right now. I don't think the dust storm has that much influence on albedo, but I'm not sure either.

Indeed, during its late July opposition this year, Mars will be nearly as close and bright as in 2003. These perihelic oppositions occur in intervals of 15 or 17 years. They present the few occurrences in which Mars can briefly appear slightly brighter than Jupiter. I agree that this would have far more to do with its apparent brightness than a dust storm.

Mars-Mag.thumb.JPG.440c63332e53ed2cbccb9fb32f6a286b.JPG

Edited by CentaurZ
  • Like 1

The reason mars is much brighter is because of the huge dust storm on the planet that started a few days ago . If you keep up with www.spaceweather.com you can get updates . One of the rovers has shut down due to the storm nut the other has been able to send a new recent image showing the dust . Check it out !! 

• Like 1

I would agree with earlier posters, I doubt the dust storm has any significant impact on the current brightness of Mars. The positioning and approaching opposition are the dominant factors.

I do hope there is not a global storm as it will spoil the chances of getting great views of the surface.

• Like 2

Mars will be exceptionally bright for sure at this perihelic opposition, especially to these unfamiliar with it. However, the magnitude is not affected by dust. What may be affected however is the naked eye colour which becomes more yellowish. This effect was seen in 1909, 1924, 1956, 1971, 1973 and 2001 and 2007.

There are some notes for observing Mars in 2018 on the BAA website. And the latest images and info on the progress of the dust storm can be seen here.

Edited by JeremyS
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Kronos831
      Hey guys. Thought about  starting this thread. I feel like we all should inform eachother and newer members alike about the magngifications that can be achieved on planets,that provide the best sharpness/size ratio,depending on the scope and seeing. After this thread has grown a bit, i feel like this should be pinned,as to provide a little guide to newer members that are not experienced with planetary observing,as many will be fooled with the typical 50x per inch of aperture and get disappointed when they find that that image will be dim and blurry.
      For my 8” F/6 Sky-Watcher Dob
      For Saturn i like to use 150x in medium seeing and if i want something a bit bigger , switch to 240x ,which will give me a bigger,but blurrier image.iBut In good seeing, i found that 240x was very usable.When we have perfect conditions, i m certainly trying 300x.
      Mars, isnt very big in the sky right now,so even at high magnifications like 300x it still appears as a small orange dot. For observing mars,I suggest waiting for it to reach opposition.It benifits hugely from it! However,this happens once every 2 years....But 5ere are other planets to keep you occupied until then, such as jupiter,saturn and   Venus.
      For Venus, i use 50-100-120 depending on its phase.
      For  Jupiter, i like to use 150x, as it provides a very sharp image,with key features of the planet such as bands being very detailed.Waiting on my 6mm UWA Skywatcher to bring it to 200 and see how that plays out. Be careful! Don’t magnify jupiter too much, as it will loose much of its features and sharpness.
      Neptune and Uranus: These two will not impress, but are certainly have a nice colour to them. Even ar high magnifications, such as 300x and 400x, they will look like small discs with color in them.Uranus will look be colored green and Neptune a fainter blue.
      Mercury About mercury...Havent gotten the chance to observe it ,so the guys will have to inform you about that?
      Feel free to give your own opinions as to give members a wider source of information to help them observe better ! 
      Cheers and clear skies.
      Kronos

• By Cosmic Geoff
      Got images of Jupiter and Saturn in the morning and a tiny Mars in the evening. Saturn was very low and a fence may have blocked some light. Apparent diameter of Mars is now below 5" and the evening seeing was poor.  
      Used: CPC800, ASI120MC, ADC,  processed in Registax6.
    • By Cosmic Geoff
      I had another go at imaging the shrinking Mars, this time without and with a x2 Barlow lens.  The results are better with the Barlow, which is what one is led to expect.   For whatever reason (probably bad seeing and/or low planets) when I tried a Barlow previously it just made the blur bigger.  Equipment: C8 SE, ASI120MC, x2 Skywatcher kit Barlow element screwed directly into 1.25" barrel of the ZWO camera.   This does seem to give x2 in practice.  I did not use an ADC on the grounds that I shouldn't need one with Mars at an altitude of over 40 degrees.
      3000 image video captured with Sharpcap. Processed in Registax6.  I found that the Sharpcap exposure histogram did not appear to work on such a small image, so had to estimate the exposure.   Yes, optical ADC correction would be better, but the dispersion seemed very small.  Blowing up the image x2 in Registax showed a small colour fringe, which I took out with a single point of correction.
      The images show some surface detail though the contrast is low (if you are using a flatscreen try viewing from below: ?)  Mare Sirenum, with Mare Acidalium just discernible foreshortened at upper right. 

• By Cosmic Geoff
      Here is an image of Mars I made on 9 Jan this year, with a C8 SE, and ASI120MC camera.  The images are rather small (around 7" dia).  Mars is now much higher in the sky than at opposition, so it seemed worth taking a few farewell images as it diminishes in size. Captured with Sharpcap.
      I did not use the ADC - the images are corrected for AD in the processing in Registax.  This is from a run of 3000 images.  I have included a x3 Photoshop zoom of the same image to indicate the size of Mars at opposition on the same scale.  I was quite pleased to record some surface detail, corresponding with the position of Syrtis Major.  If I'd had more time, I could have tried some images using a Barlow lens. I have just discovered that I can unscrew the lens section from a Skywatcher x2 Barlow and screw it onto the 1.25" nosepiece of the ASI120MC, which will give a more modest zoom (I think).

• By Willgiffotron
      Hi. I’m kind of new to stargazing and I want to view mars. On the website I bought my telescope from it says that planetary observation can be done with clear images being produced but I can’t see much of Mars and I was wondering what eyepiece would be best it has a 114 mm apature.
      thanks for any help you can provide.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.