Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Any mileage in the original PSP ?

Anyone who attended Shallow Grange PSP will remember the great social atmosphere and the dodgy skies. I met and learnt from some very good folk there. The facilities were great , it's something that I miss greatly. Just wondered if there existed any williness to restart this.

We had a dubious meeting against Rivendale campsite , but the security lights really put the dampners on that one. The Peak Distruct is central and although Chelmorton is not the best of skies , it did produce the best of fellowship.

Any thoughts out there ?

Nick.

Went to the Rivendale one, not too bad but bit of a pain having the tents and caravans in two separate places.

May clash with the spring SGL Sixpenny Handley SP if it becomes an annual event which was quite good if a little chilly :smile:

Dave

I'm in Nicko...

Where's James nowadays who put the originals together.

That was my first ever star party and remember pulling up next to your tent... before I had got out of the car was invited to look through another neighbours solar scope! awesome event and although I was very proud of my new gifted the Skywatcher 114p I was slightly humbled when I set it up amongst the vast array of weapons grade scopes around the park! Needless to say I spent most of the time looking through your giant drainpipe on a mount!

It was absolutely freezing though... Great fun, lets get it back on bloke!!

• 2 weeks later...

PSP had its good points and bad.

The bad points. Well, niggles really.  I didn't care for that barn. I found it to dusty and it affected my chest. The other one, there simply wasn't anywhere warm, to chill out.

It was also more expensive if you wanted to use the supplied EHU's than Kelling. And it could be very windy too.

But it was fun and I enjoyed meeting peeps and making new friends.

It would be very nice to see a Star Party in the Peak District. But the problem is. When?

PSP has some fond memories for me. It was my first star party, I think I went to most of them and it was where I first met many of the SGL crowd, friendships which have continued right up to now.

I thought the barn was a very useful meeting place when the weather was poor. For me the biggest negative ironically was the skies. The weather was often poor, and when there was lots of moisture in the air the light domes from the quarries were pretty intrusive plus the car headlights on the road if you were in the front field.

I would probably prefer somewhere in that area but further into the park with better skies. Riverdale wasn't bad, but I did not enjoy the separation between caravans and tents, it meant I had little chance to talk to or observe with people wanted to.

Nothing is ever perfect though, and Buxton has the advantage of being near 'Auntie Jo's' house in Bakewell, and she does a cracking roast to warm me up after a freezing weekend :), plus Suzie and Lorna can stay there whilst I'm at the star party. Works for me, I would try to go along if it started up again.

Got to agree with most comments here. There was no decent communal area. The barn was just uncomfortable, cold and dusty.

The worst aspect was the sky. The main draw of a star party should surely be the sky. The sky at PSP was floodlit by nearby quarries, just really poor. I'm sure the Peak can provide something better than that.

I'd certainly be up for that.

I'll agree with most of the above especially patricks comment that the skies should be the biggest draw. 

I enjoyed the original PSP even though it did have its drawbacks.

I met some characters which have become great friends and would like for this to start up again and catch up with old faces and a few new ones. May even bring the 22" :wink:

It takes a lot of dedication to arrange and run something like the PSP event and James did a good job of it.

I'm in depending on the dates.

Archived