Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Inverted & Flipped Image ?

5 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

If you bear in mind flip + invert = rotate the view through a newt is easy to interpret, just turn the star map so the top is at the bottom.

Exactly, but makes it a nightmare when you want to manouver the newt around as when you want to move the image up in the EP you need to move the scope down, and when you want to go right in the FOV you need to move the scope left! Does yer head in! ;) 

? Ha Ha at least I'm not going mad then. I thought Newts only inverted the image, probably one reason why I have struggled with star hopping ?

Finally did a test this lunch time to conclude the image was inverted & flipped.

Glad I asked.

Thanks everyone for your help.

No diagonal or prism involved. ?

Looks like I need to learn how to read a start chart upside down lol......

1 hour ago, Knighty2112 said:

Exactly, but makes it a nightmare when you want to manouver the newt around as when you want to move the image up in the EP you need to move the scope down, and when you want to go right in the FOV you need to move the scope left! Does yer head in! ;) 

I think the motions come pretty naturally pretty quickly for most people.  It is a bit annoying switching between refractors and Newts in the same viewing session, though.

1 hour ago, Knighty2112 said:

Not as much as a frac with a diagonal which reverse one direction and not the other!

For newts and finders without diagonals I just imagine I am moving the view, not the scope and it goes where I expect ?

My MAk came with a 45-degree RACI diagonal, very nice!

From a New York eBay listing...

s-l1600.jpg

I'm going to try my Amici-prism on my 150mm F/5 Newtonian, and see where it gets me.  I would think that there would be some eyepieces that would not reach focus.

I do struggle with newts but that’s basically because I spend most of my time using refractors or Maks with a left-right reversed view. This is second nature to me now, and in fact when I go to a correct image view I tend to move the scope in the wrong direction! I would rather have the maxiumum quality than compromise with an amici Prism.

3 hours ago, Alan64 said:

From a New York eBay listing...

s-l1600.jpg

I'm going to try my Amici-prism on my 150mm F/5 Newtonian, and see where it gets me.  I would think that there would be some eyepieces that would not reach focus.

What has he been smoking in those pipes I wonder ? 

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Is that a telescope or a workshop vacuum cleaner? ?

1 hour ago, Red Dwarfer said:

What has he been smoking in those pipes I wonder ? 

That's an old Criterion 150mm f/10 Newtonian, with one of those beastly equatorials that brought about its demise in favour of the "Dobsonian".  It's a wonder, but I'm still going to try it out with my own...and see what happens...

3 hours ago, Alan64 said:

That's an old Criterion 150mm f/10 Newtonian, with one of those beastly equatorials that brought about its demise in favour of the "Dobsonian".

It's amazing how hung up everyone was on EQ mounts prior to the Dobsonian revolution.  Those old pier mounts look like such dinosaurs today.

Archived