SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

10" Bresser Dob Has Landed!

cloudsweeper

Completes my "trio" for the present.  First impressions: quite easy to put together; it is BIG; it is only just manageable in two parts (not in a semi-permanent set-up), so I'm very pleased I didn't go for a 12"; the finderscope is poor - a bit of a toy, but not an issue as I intend to rely on the Rigel.

Overall, I'm happy with the purchase, and am looking forward to collimating and using this latest addition.

Couple of pics attached, one showing the 8" Cat for comparison.

Doug.

P1060321.JPG

P1060322.JPG

1 hour ago, domstar said:

Wow. Congratulations. It looks very exciting. (Can we have a human next to the scope for comparison, please?)

(Thought I'd replied - so apologies if this appears twice.)

Next best thing Dom - when in its mount and the tube vertical, the total height is 131cm, 51.5 inches, 4 feet 3.5 inches, which is a fair bit less than an average person.  I shall probably make a stand to raise it several inches for ease of use of the Rigel and the eyepiece.

Doug.

3 hours ago, Stu said:

That was quick Doug! Looks great, I like the alt bearing design on the Bresser dons. First light soon I hope!!

Why I went for one was the alt bearings. Easy to put on & take off so good for transport. 

Only the finder scope is a let down, I bought an Altair & a Telrad. OTA is a 10 so expected to be heavier & tube material strong enough. 

They have (like OO UK) good mirror cel, spider & a good focuser. 

@cloudsweepergood choice! 

Nice one.

Before you take it out for first light check that all the screws holding the ptfe pads are below the surface of the pad. If any are proud they will snag on the aluminium runners.

I can't tell from the picture angle if you have added the extension tube to the focuser. If not you'll need to add it to reach focus. I've also found that it is more comfortable to rotate the focuser so that the wheels are horizontal when the scope is almost at 45°. It has to be a little below that so that you have "finger room" around the right hand wheel. There are four hex grub screws around the edge of the plate that connects the focuser to the tube that you can loosen and then retighten to adjust the angle. From memory I think the ones on the narrow sides are 1.5mm and 2mm on the thick sides. 

16 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

Nice one.

Before you take it out for first light check that all the screws holding the ptfe pads are below the surface of the pad. If any are proud they will snag on the aluminium runners.

I can't tell from the picture angle if you have added the extension tube to the focuser. If not you'll need to add it to reach focus. I've also found that it is more comfortable to rotate the focuser so that the wheels are horizontal when the scope is almost at 45°. It has to be a little below that so that you have "finger room" around the right hand wheel. There are four hex grub screws around the edge of the plate that connects the focuser to the tube that you can loosen and then retighten to adjust the angle. From memory I think the ones on the narrow sides are 1.5mm and 2mm on the thick sides. 

Thanks.  Yes - extension tube has been put on.  I'll check out the other points before use.  Hopefully tomorrow!

Doug.

5 hours ago, swamp thing said:

Great stuff, 10" Dob = happy astronomer 

I do like the look of a mass produced commercial Dob with sensible sized alt bearings :thumbright:

Enjoy :) 

Thanks Steve.  Took it for a trial run last night - just at the limit of manageability (for me), but no problem there.  I like the ease of use, even for looking at the zenith.  Yes, those bearings are a good design, and the overall appearance is good.  And having the tube in rings is good for re-balancing.  I'm a convert alright, and after the initial shock, it now somehow doesn't seem to be so enormous!

(Only had fleeting views - conditions unfavourable - keenness beat practicality.)

Doug.

4 hours ago, Eastman said:

Congrats Doug, nice dob.

How's the rockerbox its looks great, smooth elevation? 

Thanks Gert.  Yes, the whole thing is a delight - the rockers/wheels slot easily onto the base/box, and all movement is smooth and adjustment easy.  No balancing issues.  I haven't tried any of the other popular Dobs, but based on this one, I'd certainly recommend the Bresser.

All I want now is a chance to use it!

Doug.

Archived