Narrowband

Advice Please: Testing the limits of an AZ-EQ6 GT

I recently bought off a fellow SGL member his Skywatcher 300p Newt. It will amount to around 30kg once I stick on rings, eyepiece etc. The person I bought it from had it mounted, I believe, on an NEQ6, so not dissimilar to mine. For the time being at least with this scope, I’m only really interested in observing.

My Mount is a fairly new AZ-EQ6 GT, whose specs suggest a 25kg limit for visual. I assume there’s a certain amount of overdesign allowing for a margin to exceed that number.

So I’m trying to think of ways to save or optimize weight at the scope end of the assembly. The first thing that occurs to me is to replace the (~4kg?) Skywatcher saddle-puck with a lighter and maybe even stronger alternative. A quick look has brought up ADM and Altair Losmandy Puck/Saddle arrangements.

My questions:

-          Has anyone upgraded their EQ-6-style saddles to save weight?

-          What experience do you have using the AZ-EQ6 Gt with a 30kg payload?

Thanks, Magnus

I really think you are pushing the boundaries with the AZ-EQ6-GT, I have just sold mine because I may need to carry more that the suggested 18Kgs max for imaging and I think at 30Kgs you really are pushing it.

BTW I'm selling my Puc and Cradle if you want to upgrade your mount: -

29 minutes ago, Jkulin said:

I really think you are pushing the boundaries with the AZ-EQ6-GT, I have just sold mine because I may need to carry more that the suggested 18Kgs max for imaging and I think at 30Kgs you really are pushing it.

Thanks John - I won't be using it for imaging, just visual, for which its stated capacity is 25kg. If I can scrape off bits of weight here and there, such as by using a lighter saddle, I may be able to get within spitting distance of that limit.

And I've PM'd you about the saddle you're selling.

Cheers, Magnus

• 2 months later...

To round this off and hopefully be useful for anyone else who might be considering the AZ-EQ6 GT mount with a (lovely) SW 300p, I can happily confirm that the Mount handled the 300p flawlessly, albeit on a Berlebach Planet tripod rather than the original SW one. See the pictures below. The Mak180 on the other side was doing duty that evening as counterweight. Also slightly different from standard was that I was using an ADM saddle instead of the OEM one.

Thanks to @Jkulin for the saddle and @neil phillips for the 300p!

Cheers, Magnus

I'll write up a full Observing Report for the month of August in SW Ireland in due course...

SW_InTheField1.jpg

SW_InTheField2.jpg

Fab looking setup Magnus, I bet that delivered in spades under a nice dark Irish sky!

Interesting that you had the focuser on the mount side of the 300P, is that not a little more cramped than on the outside? Or perhaps you did it to keep the weight closer to the mount?

Yes thanks Stu it did deliver eventually after a couple of sessions of getting used to it and managing dew - the hairdryer eventually proved completely indispensable.

As for the orientation it’s a good question, I don’t think I really thought about it. That’s just how I happened to position it when initially balancing everything up in EQ mode indoors. Funnily enough when doing that I noticed I put a piece of tape exactly where there had been one before, and the mystery of the myriad little scratches was also solved ... they were where my belt-buckle was when presenting the tube to the rings! @neil phillips obviously used the same setting-up strategy.

I’ll try out next time (Christmas:( ) the focuser on the outside.

Archived