SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter & Venus

Well it's been a while since I last managed to get out with the scope due to work, weather and holidays. Tonight I saw Venus beckoning me when I really should have been heading off to bed ready for an early start in the morning, but I just couldn't resist. 

Scope out and got lined up on Venus, the planet phase really seems to have changed since last time I managed to look at it which was back towards the start of May. Managed to track Venus for about 10/15 minutes but the clouds moved in and started to obscure view. 

To the south I could now see Jupiter calling so I spun the scope round and WOW probably some of my best views to date of the planet. Banding clearly jumping out and four moons clearly visible. Went down to my 12mm BST (x75) and had some great views for about 3 or 4 mins max before the cloud finally blotted Jupiter out too. I waited a while to see if it would clear and managed to catch it  a couple more times briefly until there were no breaks left.

Although I managed to upgrade my EP's in April I've had very few opportunities to use them, but tonight I was really pleased with their performance and can't wait to get a better session.

Thanks for reading.

On 11/06/2018 at 23:07, Ed in UK said:

Well it's been a while since I last managed to get out with the scope due to work, weather and holidays. Tonight I saw Venus beckoning me when I really should have been heading off to bed ready for an early start in the morning, but I just couldn't resist. 

Scope out and got lined up on Venus, the planet phase really seems to have changed since last time I managed to look at it which was back towards the start of May. Managed to track Venus for about 10/15 minutes but the clouds moved in and started to obscure view. 

To the south I could now see Jupiter calling so I spun the scope round and WOW probably some of my best views to date of the planet. Banding clearly jumping out and four moons clearly visible. Went down to my 12mm BST (x75) and had some great views for about 3 or 4 mins max before the cloud finally blotted Jupiter out too. I waited a while to see if it would clear and managed to catch it  a couple more times briefly until there were no breaks left.

Although I managed to upgrade my EP's in April I've had very few opportunities to use them, but tonight I was really pleased with their performance and can't wait to get a better session.

Thanks for reading.

Hi Ed. Glad you could get a few sessions in. I remember seeing the phases of Venus in the mid 1970's when I first looked through a telescope. Interested to know what eyepieces you use? 

All the best 

Martin

Jupiter has been great recently. Every time I think about selling up I come back to Jupiter and change my mind. The amount of detail visible on Jupiter last week was unbelievable and I'm glad it continues to excite and inspire others. I've never used the BST's myself but hear great things about them. Here's hoping for a continuing run of all this high pressure and clear skies. I love how Jupiter's cloud belts and regions change so much, sometimes disappearing altogether. It seems at the moment the southern temperate belt is rather narrow and in a region of otherwise nearly pure white atmospheric coverage making it stand out very clearly. 

I must get my telescope out of the porch and have a session - there have been a couple of nights recently when conditions have looked great and I have just been too busy or tired to be bothered, but have noted both Jupiter and Venus pominent in the sky by eye.  I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but on the occasions last year that I did see Jupy it is almost easier to see the details on it before it gets really dark - I think because it seems less bright against the lighter sky.

1 hour ago, JOC said:

I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but on the occasions last year that I did see Jupy it is almost easier to see the details on it before it gets really dark

Definitely. This has been noted in quite a few threads recently. It certainly seems to reduce the glare, but also helps the colour show through because your cones are still being stimulated by the ambient light.

Archived