Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Burnhope reservoir dark site

Hi all, been looking for a dark site near where I live thinking about trying burnhope reservoir in weardale the next clear weekend, has anyone done any observing here or in this area.its about 30mile drive for me Don’t mind if it’s worth it. many thanks in advance.

Barry

We (Sunderland Astronomical Society) meet at Derwent Reservoir as it is our dark sky site. We have tried Burnhope before but did not go back the reason escapes me.

This time of year never gets fully dark so even a dark site will still be bright. Sunset on the 17th is 21.45 with sunrise 4.28 on the 18th with no Astronomical or Nautical Twilight let alone darkness. I could not get enough stars to do a SharpCap Polar align last night at 11.30pm.

Finally there is safety in numbers. I always strongly recommend to our members not to go observing alone and always need at least 2 people when we are doing a Society organised trip.

There are a number of Societies near you. Durham Astro, Cleveland and Darlington and finally ourselves Sunderland Astronomical Society. If you were to pop along to any of them you would be among a group of like minded people and have access to Safe dark site observing (or imaging). Or even just to get help and tips from members.

Hi Michael, thanks for your reply. Agree doesn’t really get dark this time of year, I just want to get out in to open for good views of the dark sky,would have the wife with me for company. Have spoke to members of your group at Alston a while back. Will definitely come along to one of your meetings in the near future. Cheers Barry 

Quite agree with Michael, strength in numbers or at least one further person, unless you know specifically of places that are fine. The places mentioned, at least considering Derwent Res areas, can be great, but may also attract unwelcome human visitors which could be an unwelcome distraction, even intimidating. I live in Newcastle and my current trend has been to head firmly north into Northumberland, to locations that from a solitary perspective are just fine, would be nice to get in the mix with an astro society again, such as SAS at some point though. 

Thanks for replies, agree it’s better with a bit of company. One of the reason I was thinking burnhope res/ moors, loads of open spaces darks skies off the main roads. Will get along to one of the clubs in the area soon. Good crak. 

Barry

Archived