SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello there

MrGold

Hello. New member here. Used to work in astronomy outreach and actually have a degree in astrophysics which put me off the whole thing. Recently went to some friends who had this terrible refractor scope (up to 60x zoom... with probably a 40mm aperture and you couldn't change eyepieces). And I managed to focus in on Jupiter ( and by focus I mean orange blob smaller than a pea) and could see 3 bright spots around it which were its moons. That brought a lot of things back so long story short , I now have a skywatcher explorer 130p (wanted heritage for portability but you cannot find those second hand in the UK) which ai got for a very reasonable 100 quid with a small CMOS camera included (looks like a Orion Stargazer) and a bunch of outreach books. Oh and a Barlow lens from Baader planetarium. I think it is safe to say it was a decent bargain. I am located on the Southeast of England and will plan on going to the downs and Glynde to do some observation.

Pleasure meeting you all!

15 hours ago, Demonperformer said:

Hi, Mr G, and welcome to SGL.

Sounds like you have some good gear there to help you back into the hobby.

I may be waayyy off-base here, but in view of your user name I have to ask ... O.U.A.T. fan?

Not sure how it started but I have been using it for ages... it just kinda stuck.

Did my first observation last night and saw Jupiter and a couple of other things. Quite more than I was expecting in the middle of Brighton. One question though, Jupiter seem led a tad too bright and when using Barlow 2.25x with 10mm eyepiece (around 150x magnification) I had a lot of trouble focusing. I checked for collimation  and it seemed fine (laser dot on the centre of the scope and back through laser eyepiece). Now, I did see the edges of Jupiter waver a bit due to atmospheric distortion and so was able to see 2 bands and the South pole but Jupiter just seemed white.

Could it be just the atmosphere, could it be just hw it looks (though I don't remember it quite so bright and it doesn't explain the trouble focusing) or should I check my laser collimator for collimation and see if the spider is centred? 

20180611_224559.jpg

20180611_224552.jpg

8 hours ago, Demonperformer said:

I may be waayyy off-base here, but in view of your user name I have to ask ... O.U.A.T. fan?

Actually, checked what OUAT means and imdeed, I used to watch it sporadicaly. I also thought the only good thing about that show was Rumpletiltsky (I am a huge fan of Robert Carlyle) so you might be right where I got my name from ^^

Totally forgot that show ever existed.

Archived