Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First attempts at imaging the Sun

AstroKane

Today being my birthday I treated myself to a Baader Solar filter. I haven't seen clear skies in what seems like an age but tonight around 7pm UK time the clouds cleared up and the sun was hanging nicely in the sky.

I have never attempted imaging the sun (or processing) but I have been trawling through forums and guides last few weeks in preparation. 

Kit:

Advance AVX mount

Canon 750D

Sky Watcher ED80 (with filter).

Images below, really thrilled with my first snaps and I have now been bitten by the day time astro bug as well as the night - not sure if this is good or bad! I took the AVI's via Backyard EOS and the dumped them straight into Registax with some final touching up in PS. All processed in around 5 minutes so I know I have probably skipped a lot and missed bits but I will go back to this - and hopefully have plenty of practive over the summer ?

The Sun 2nd attempt.jpg

The Sun first attempt.jpg

This is great and may inspire me to jump on this aspect of Astronomy. Sorry if this seems like taking over your thread but can anyone advise if I could get similar results by imaging the sun with appropriate filters from my 150p on eq3-2 and a canon1100d.  It's also my birthday soon so I have my wife and kids asking what I want. 

1 minute ago, Peco4321 said:

This is great and may inspire me to jump on this aspect of Astronomy. Sorry if this seems like taking over your thread but can anyone advise if I could get similar results by imaging the sun with appropriate filters from my 150p on eq3-2 and a canon1100d.  It's also my birthday soon so I have my wife and kids asking what I want. 

Assuming your canon will come to focus at business end of your 150P then yes, you should be able to get similar results. Grab some Baader solar film and have a go! Only down side is the Sun is very quiet at the moment with solar minimum close by, but with patience spots will come along eventually and you will be well practiced when activity ramps up again in a couple of years time.

4 minutes ago, David Smith said:

Assuming your canon will come to focus at business end of your 150P

Thanks and yes it does. I can get fairly sharp images of the moon both at prime focus and using 2 x Barlow. Also been doing DSO imaging with it so all this is making me want to have a go. I'll start looking at other threads for more info. 

15 hours ago, Peco4321 said:

Thanks and yes it does. I can get fairly sharp images of the moon both at prime focus and using 2 x Barlow. Also been doing DSO imaging with it so all this is making me want to have a go. I'll start looking at other threads for more info. 

I would definitely recommend having a go! Make sure to post some images!

I am looking forward to learning the processing techniques to bring out some good detail and look forward to the suns activity stepping in the next few year. I primarily brought a filter so that I could use my astro gear during the day as  the night time cloud cover in the UK lately has been unbearable, cannot remember the last time we had decent clear night skies - My main aim this summer is to image the planets.

I also recently purchased an ASI290MC - will definitely try this out on the sun too, I am a newbie to sharpcap - hence why I tried my maiden images using the canon and Backyard EOS - more familiar territory. 

Nice first images.  Much better than mine were. LOL

We've got a new AR... 2713 just appearing on the east limb.  You'll get some good practice if it holds together as it crosses the surface in the coming few days.

Keep up the good work.

Clear Skies

• 2 weeks later...

I don't get home from work until quite late, and with viewing restrictions I lose the sun around 7:15pm. So today being the summer solstice in the UK I dashed home as quick as I could and must have set up and captured some data in about 20 minutes! But I did manage to capture my first sunspot! ?

Clear skies!

The Sun 21618.jpg

Archived