Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Meteor Detection with Rtl-Sdr

Hello

I've been trying to receive radar meteor reflections with an SDR and a 3 element homemade Yagi-Uda antenna.
My antenna is designed for the 143.05 MHz frequency to receive the Graves CW Signal ,  demodulated on USB.
Thing is, I live in Paris and have no access to a roof , I did try to receive from a third floor but the building had strong metal window frames, and I did not receive any meteor.
Next, I went on a hill (Montmartre) and there I received a signal @ 143.050 MHz but it was the Graves original emission and not a meteor reflection since it didn't stop. Plus the signal was relatively faint.
I need to receive a meteor scatted signal (or at least from a moving object) so I can calculate the LOS velocity. Any tips on how I can improve my reception ? ( I bought a Nooelec Smart device, still hasn't shipped yet.
Would it be easier to receive reflections on the ISS ?

Thank you very much

Hi, and welcome.

It's difficult to advise here. You should be able to receive meteor reflections with an SDR and 3-element Yagi, especially as you are closer to the radar source. Of course outside of showers they are not very frequent and you may need to observe for some time. For us Brits we only have one option because we need to have a good view down onto SE-S horizon, but closer to the Graves transmitter I guess this isn't so critical. In fact, you don't want any direct line of sight signal from Graves to be received. You say that this signal was fairly feint. Although this signal was weak, you could well expect the meteor reflection to be stronger. I assume that you are tuning a kHz or two off the Graves frequency so that you will get an audible signal.

As for the ISS, in my experience the signal is not necessarily stronger if I remember correctly, but of course it lasts for longer. Note also that the doppler frequency shift is several kHz and changes as it traverses the sky because of the velocity of the ISS and its geometry with respect to transmitter and receiver.

Have you looked at the long thread:

You might find something in there which can help.

Good luck

Ian

Archived