SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Venus in the daytime

Knighty2112

As it was a nice sunny day I tried a little WL solar viewing, but as it was just like looking like a ginormous white snooker ball, I decided to switch to Venus (with the help of my trusty goto mount). After looking at it visually with my C8 SCT, I decided to have a go at imaging it. The below image is the best result I got out of 3,000 images with my ZWO ASI120 mc, with a light blue filter fitted (not that you'd notice with the colour of Venus). Seeing was pants, but the image came out much better than expected. Used Registax, then PS to crop & alter curves a little. Flipped image for correct orientation.

14_27_39_Venus_Daytime_10_06_18.png.beaa4df8673458713a6ebbb9257e99ab.png

Looks pretty good to me! Phase looks the same as when I observed it recently. Not easy to even find in the daytime, although I find once you found it visually say with binoculars it is then much easier to find again with the naked eye. Goto obviously helps too ;) 

28 minutes ago, Craney said:

Nice one.  Never thought it would come that good in the daytime.

No reason why not; it has about the same albedo as off-white paint (0.77), which is easily visible against a daylight sky. (cf the Moon, which has about the same albedo as tarmac (0.1), but is still easily visible against a daylit sky)

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Looks pretty good to me! Phase looks the same as when I observed it recently. Not easy to even find in the daytime, although I find once you found it visually say with binoculars it is then much easier to find again with the naked eye. Goto obviously helps too ;) 

Thanks Stu. Was hard to know if the focus was correct with the wobbly seeing, but think I was pretty close with it. :) 

42 minutes ago, BinocularSky said:

No reason why not; it has about the same albedo as off-white paint (0.77), which is easily visible against a daylight sky. (cf the Moon, which has about the same albedo as tarmac (0.1), but is still easily visible against a daylit sky)

Surprised the moon has a albedo as low as that? Surely that has to be an average I guess of the whole moon. 

2 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

BTW: meant to add in too that the image was taken today at approx 2:30pm UK time. 

That is good going! It is fun viewing the planets in daytime, I’ve tracked Jupiter from twilight right through until full daylight before. Tricky to find in the first place but once it is in the scope it is pretty easy to track.

To give an idea of how bad the seeing was with the heat when trying to image Venus with the ASI120mc, and also to show how good Registax can pull a decent image from such a mess, here's a gif I created with PIPP from the 3000 image long avi file I took with the camera via Sharpcap.

14_27_39_Bilinear_pipp.gif.70a020ba9c4abd36bc7467a997800282.gif

Archived