SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Do I need another eyepiece

Pig

7 minutes ago, 25585 said:

Ditto for Morpheus. OK the 17.5 has an improved eye guard and an extension ring comes with it, but for the earlier ones, I wish they could be upgraded retrospectively.

Not sure about screw up or click up eye cups generally though. While I prefer them for binoculars, cups thst cannot be removed are a minus point. I never went for Vixen NLV (apart from the 50mm), SLV or (another reason) SSW is because of the non-removable cups.

Pentax XW can have the top bit unscrewed but I have less problem generally, ditto with Meade SWA 5000/ES Maxview eps.

The rubber eye cups can be removed from most eyepieces quite easily if you really want to do it. In one or two cases they come off rather too easily !.

I don't think I've actually come across an eyepiece where the rubber eyecup was fitted permanently :icon_scratch:

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, John said:

The rubber eye cups can be removed from most eyepieces quite easily if you really want to do it. In one or two cases they come off rather too easily !.

I don't think I've actually come across an eyepiece where the rubber eyecup was fitted permanently :icon_scratch:

I never wanted to be too rough trying, especially in case the process was damaging or irreversible. 

On 07/07/2018 at 11:05, John said:

I've not used a Nikon eyepiece (of any sort) but I'd like to one day. I have used the Vixen SSW's though and posted a few words on them a few years back:

Was that review almost three years ago !!!! Where does time go ?

49 minutes ago, John said:

That's true about the Baader Hyperion 36mm, I ended up gluing the eyeguard on as it kept coming off in the dark.

John

On 08/07/2018 at 12:48, 25585 said:

Ditto for Morpheus. OK the 17.5 has an improved eye guard and an extension ring comes with it, but for the earlier ones, I wish they could be upgraded retrospectively.

https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/rubbermetal-foldable-morpheus-eyecup-(m43-threaded).html

They don't ship to the UK though :(

23 hours ago, 25585 said:

Are the Aspherics the same? 

You do get two different eyecups with Aspherics and they do not stay on that well ? 

34 minutes ago, emadmoussa said:

Glue them to your eyes,you can then just swap eyes for different levels of comfort. ;)

Good idea but what about my mascara ?

Mascara and eyepieces don't mix well - I've had to clean eyepieces up after an outreach session and it ain't much fun :tongue:

Still can't work out why some of the participants felt they needed to use so much make up for an event that took place in the dark :icon_scratch:

22 hours ago, John said:

Still can't work out why some of the participants felt they needed to use so much make up for an event that took place in the dark :icon_scratch:

When my mother-in-law fell and broke her hip, she wouldn't let my father-in-law call 911 until he had brought her her make up and held a mirror for her to apply it while sprawled out on the kitchen floor.  God forbid an EMT saw her without make up.

Archived