SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Do I need another eyepiece

Pig

3 hours ago, emadmoussa said:

I'm not going to comment on the eyepieces quality or lack thereof, I'm only starting over and my knowledge is rusty - to put it mildly. However, Shaun, it seems your heart is set on what you want. So, darn it, go ahead an do it if it's not going to break the bank. You only live twice, the life before you'd discovered astronomy and the one after. You're in the 'after' now - so carpe diem, buddy!! ;);)   If you feel like parting with some of your existing eyepieces, remember I'm eyepiece poor right now :D

Well the Morpheus arrived yesterday and it looks pretty good, nice and light too ?I don’t think I will be giving any away Imad.....

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Pig said:

Well the Morpheus arrived yesterday and it looks pretty good, nice and light too ?I don’t think I will be giving any away Imad.....

I've noticed that Baader overstates their weights on some eyepieces.  I've weighed my 9mm to be 327g while Baader says it should weigh 360g.  My 14mm comes in at about the same weight as spec'ed, though.

5 hours ago, John said:

I seem to have caused a little confusion with the photo I posted - they are not my eyepieces :embarassed:

I have quite a lot but not that many and I don't binoview so don't need the pairs.

There are a few in that photo that I'd like to own though, so I may have fuelled my own "occularholism" by posting it :rolleyes2:

I'm afraid you will have to set the record straight by posting an "eyepiece picnic" picture of your own ?

44 minutes ago, Louis D said:

I've noticed that Baader overstates their weights on some eyepieces.  I've weighed my 9mm to be 327g while Baader says it should weigh 360g.  My 14mm comes in at about the same weight as spec'ed, though.

Strange really because it seems counterproductive given that we prefer eyepieces to be on the lighter side if possible ? I don’t have any scales to weigh the eyepiece on for confirmation.

43 minutes ago, emadmoussa said:

LOL - let us know how it performs. 

I sure will young Imad ? I just need a clear patch of sky so I can see some stars. I have a hunch it will be more suited to targets such as the double cluster. 

36 minutes ago, Ags said:

I'm afraid you will have to set the record straight by posting an "eyepiece picnic" picture of your own ?

I believe John only has three eyepices left ?

4 minutes ago, Pig said:

I sure will young Imad ? I just need a clear patch of sky so I can see some stars. I have a hunch it will be more suited to targets such as the double cluster. 

Agree - except for the 'young' part. 

25 minutes ago, Pig said:

Strange really because it seems counterproductive given that we prefer eyepieces to be on the lighter side if possible ? I don’t have any scales to weigh the eyepiece on for confirmation.

Purged with helium perhaps ?  ?:icon_biggrin:

• 3 weeks later...

I had a much better session on Saturday night and I was using the Morpheus quite a bit inbetween high powers and I have to say I really enjoyed the views. So definitely a change of heart for me ? I was sitting down most of the time and did not suffer from the same blackouts so I will have to put my initial findings down to user error (me). However, there was the odd kidney bean shape still appearing !!! The stars were tac sharp across the FOV and the separation of the differing star colours was fantastic. Much better and now a keeper ?

23 hours ago, Pig said:

However, there was the odd kidney bean shape still appearing !!!

Hi Pig, I have found kidney beaning will dissappear after more experience.  This problem happens with all ep's that have good eye relief where the eye wanders the wrong side (inside) of the exit pupil. 

On 10/06/2018 at 16:21, jetstream said:

The 18ES is a VG eyepiece Shaun as is the short eyerelief 16T5 Nagler. They are both behind the 17E in the contrast dept though and the Nikon 17HW will be here in a few days to compare.

Just my thoughts here- the 16T5 does not outshine the 18ES 82... if I was going to shortlist the choices it would be the Delite, Delos and the Morpheus.

I have the Nikon NAV SW 17.5mm. It has 70 deg AFOV and good eye relief. It is smaller and lighter than Delos or Morpheus (good for bino viewing). Combined with Nikon's EiS Barlow 2x, you get a prime 8mm ep. Japanese optic excellence.

caab4b4f7701243bfe02ce6a440e8161efbc57023fa6496312d66580a0d1e5e3.jpeg

d7972b23216eafbe1608e37319bf298a82ad9bd5d7eb6a4d3e97b5641ae03097.jpeg

17 hours ago, 25585 said:

I have the Nikon NAV SW 17.5mm. It has 70 deg AFOV and good eye relief. It is smaller and lighter than Delos or Morpheus (good for bino viewing). Combined with Nikon's EiS Barlow 2x, you get a prime 8mm ep. Japanese optic excellence.

caab4b4f7701243bfe02ce6a440e8161efbc57023fa6496312d66580a0d1e5e3.jpeg

d7972b23216eafbe1608e37319bf298a82ad9bd5d7eb6a4d3e97b5641ae03097.jpeg

Nice eyepieces, these are VG I hear!

On 04/07/2018 at 15:36, jetstream said:

Nice eyepieces, these are VG I hear!

Before going the Morpheus route, I was pondering getting a 2nd for my bino viewers, but dropping a bv (it happens! ) with 2 Nikon's was a scary thought (ditto but less so Delos & Delite).

However when skies are darker, I will try out an odd-couple bv test with the Nikon and a Morbeus side by side. 

23 hours ago, 25585 said:

Before going the Morpheus route, I was pondering getting a 2nd for my bino viewers, but dropping a bv (it happens! ) with 2 Nikon's was a scary thought (ditto but less so Delos & Delite).

However when skies are darker, I will try out an odd-couple bv test with the Nikon and a Morbeus side by side. 

The 17 Nikon HW I bought is a really nice ep, they make good glass....

11 hours ago, jetstream said:

The 17 Nikon HW I bought is a really nice ep, they make good glass....

Not so well known outside Japan AFA eps go. The HWs are better than Vixen SSW I have read. Former's high price includes a Barlow, have you tried both FL with yours?

4 minutes ago, 25585 said:

Not so well known outside Japan AFA eps go. The HWs are better than Vixen SSW I have read. Former's high price includes a Barlow, have you tried both FL with yours?

Yes, and my 17E is for sale...  the 14mm fl with EIC is excellent however I have limited time with it yet but soon I hope to test further.  My EP collection will most likely be the Lunt 20mm HDC, 17HW/14 EIC,Docter 12.5mm UWA and the Zeiss 25.1-6.7mm/VIP in the end ( I'll keep all my orthos though :)) .

The 17HW shows sky "texture" very,very well...

2 hours ago, jetstream said:

Yes, and my 17E is for sale...  the 14mm fl with EIC is excellent however I have limited time with it yet but soon I hope to test further.  My EP collection will most likely be the Lunt 20mm HDC, 17HW/14 EIC,Docter 12.5mm UWA and the Zeiss 25.1-6.7mm/VIP in the end ( I'll keep all my orthos though :)) .

The 17HW shows sky "texture" very,very well...

I would like to compare one with my SW. Maybe being a Nikon ep retailer is an exclusive UK niche @FLO could fulfill? A worthy prestige "Made in Japan" brand & well-known name generally. AFAIK (which is not very) APM is the only EU retailer for Nikon eps (APM also sell the Masuyama 80mm ep). 

8 hours ago, 25585 said:

I've not used a Nikon eyepiece (of any sort) but I'd like to one day. I have used the Vixen SSW's though and posted a few words on them a few years back:

Ditto for Morpheus. OK the 17.5 has an improved eye guard and an extension ring comes with it, but for the earlier ones, I wish they could be upgraded retrospectively.

Not sure about screw up or click up eye cups generally though. While I prefer them for binoculars, cups thst cannot be removed are a minus point. I never went for Vixen NLV (apart from the 50mm), SLV or (another reason) SSW is because of the non-removable cups.

Pentax XW can have the top bit unscrewed but I have less problem generally, ditto with Meade SWA 5000/ES Maxview eps. The 2 big TV eps I own, and the only ones with unscrewable & removable eye cups are their 55mm Plossl and 41mm Panoptic. The latter has most travel. 

Archived