Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Do I need another eyepiece

Pig

18 minutes ago, John said:

I'm going to have to try a Morpheus sometime soon - good choice I'm sure Shaun :icon_biggrin:

Thank you John, Bills review and others opinions are very complimentary ?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Ruud said:

Congrats, Shaun, I'm looking forward to reading your first impressions!

Thank you ? it’s a pity I don’t have one with me now as I am just off over to a dark site..... bit of a gamble but midnight forecast as clear!!

17 hours ago, John said:

I'm going to have to try a Morpheus sometime soon - good choice I'm sure Shaun :icon_biggrin:

I am not deliberately buying the brand, but as was for Vixen LVWs, getting more Morpheus eps just because their eye relief, viewing comfort and performance are so easy.

Of the 3, 17.5mm is my favourite, my IPD wearing glasses, just allows a pair for bino viewing.

41 minutes ago, Pig said:

I do like Baader eyepieces, it’s a pity I don’t get on with the BGO’s. All of the other types I have tried have been very nice indeed ?

I'm not so keen on all of them myself. I've owned / tried the zooms, the aspherics, the hyperions, the classics and the BGO's. Of those only the last 2 lines (aside from the 32mm Classic Plossl) really impressed as being better than expected. Not tried the Morpheus yet though.

1 hour ago, John said:

I'm not so keen on all of them myself. I've owned / tried the zooms, the aspherics, the hyperions, the classics and the BGO's. Of those only the last 2 lines (aside from the 32mm Classic Plossl) really impressed as being better than expected. Not tried the Morpheus yet though.

Which FLs would you be keenest on trying John?

5 hours ago, 25585 said:

Of the 3, 17.5mm is my favourite...

That is a real bonus for me then ? The tracking details show it will be arriving tomorrow.

My 14mm is coming tomorrow. So far 9, 14 and 17.5mm.

9 gives 100x on my 2 900mm fracs, 14 gives 100x on the Tak with extender, and 17.5mm is for bino viewing, doubling the power of 35mm Eudiascopics (which in turn are doubled+ by LVW 8mms).

On 10/06/2018 at 10:06, Pig said:

Do I need another eyepiece

On 10/06/2018 at 11:49, DRT said:

The answer to your question is obviously "Yes" :grin:

Shaun, when I post a thread asking "Do I need a Pentax XW 3.5mm?" could you perhaps be more helpful that I was to you and try to dissuade me from hitting "Buy"  :rolleyes:

20 minutes ago, DRT said:

Shaun, when I post a thread asking "Do I need a Pentax XW 3.5mm?" could you perhaps be more helpful that I was to you and try to dissuade me from hitting "Buy"  :rolleyes:

Please feel free to go ahead and buy an XW .... great eyepieces ?

A 18mm would fit in there no doubt. Said this, I like some gap at lower focal lengths. A 20mm 100 Deg would solve the issue and even remove the 26mm Nagler, but you moved to the opposite direction, which suggests different tastes. 

1 hour ago, Pig said:

Please feel free to go ahead and buy an XW .... great eyepieces ?

I must not buy another eyepiece

I must not...

You are correct Derek, you must not buy another eyepiece. Unless it's a really good one and far too good an opportunity to pass up ..... :evil4:

The trouble is, the little blighters are addictive :rolleyes2:

We could try some aversion therapy:

BAD, BAD, BAD:

eyepieces1.jpg.d8b87167ffe0b57283fd2d50c2352913.jpg

GOOD, GOOD, GOOD:

eyepieces2.thumb.jpg.25b430cfe659c270405ac48a938c92f3.jpg

Nope, it's not working for me either :dontknow:

4 hours ago, DRT said:

I must not...

Doesn't work. ?

7 hours ago, DRT said:

I must not...

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE

DSC_1760.thumb.JPG.6e9f5744ee2fb5d7b0636c6490506349.JPG

8 hours ago, John said:

You are correct Derek, you must not buy another eyepiece. Unless it's a really good one and far too good an opportunity to pass up ..... :evil4:

BAD, BAD, BAD:

GOOD, GOOD, GOOD:

Woow John , that's a nice little collection ? 

Now I have seen your few eyepieces, I feel so much better about my little group. Maybe I am not a collectionist after all ? 

So John, which of those is your favorite? And which one has stayed longest in your collection?

I've cut down to just three eyepieces myself: 6.7/82, 9.4/82 and 24/68, all second-hand. I need one more at 14-17mm (because the 24mm finder EP gives me an exit pupil of 4.8mm with terrible contrast).

12 hours ago, John said:

BAD, BAD, BAD:

GOOD, GOOD, GOOD:

I understand these are the summer collection only ? can we see please the remaining three seasons eyepieces?

I'm not going to comment on the eyepieces quality or lack thereof, I'm only starting over and my knowledge is rusty - to put it mildly. However, Shaun, it seems your heart is set on what you want. So, darn it, go ahead an do it if it's not going to break the bank. You only live twice, the life before you'd discovered astronomy and the one after. You're in the 'after' now - so carpe diem, buddy!! ;);)   If you feel like parting with some of your existing eyepieces, remember I'm eyepiece poor right now :D

I seem to have caused a little confusion with the photo I posted - they are not my eyepieces :embarassed:

I have quite a lot but not that many and I don't binoview so don't need the pairs.

There are a few in that photo that I'd like to own though, so I may have fuelled my own "occularholism" by posting it :rolleyes2:

15 hours ago, John said:

BAD, BAD, BAD:

GOOD, GOOD, GOOD:

Photo at top has over 60! 3 on the left look more like camera lenses.

Just as well we don't have 3 eyes!

image.png.06af805ae64d6093057fcac565d0ccbd.png

Archived