Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Do I need another eyepiece

Pig

I am wondering what eyepiece to get that falls between mm 27mm Panoptic and 12mm Nagler. I am not over fussed about FOV so 70 degrees + will be fine. I have read some reviews on other Naglers and they seem to be loved by thier owners and they sound very appealing. My budget is around the £300 Mark. I do like an eyepiece that brings out the colours of stars if this helps ? 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recently purchased a 17.5 mm Baader Morpheus, and I'm really pleased with it, its quite modestly priced (now reduced to £149), field is pretty sharp right up to the edge of the 76 degree apparent FOV, not too massive and heavy compared to some other wide field eyepieces of similar focal length, and 1.25in rather than 2in.

John

Hiya John and thank you, I do like Badder equipment and I have just finished reading Bills review on the Morpheus and I am very tempted indeed, it also has 76 degrees which is also a plus.... I used to have the Delos 17.5 and that was pretty impressive if I recall correctly, I think it will be a two eyepiece duel....Morpheus versus the Delite. Unless someone pops up with another contender ?

The answer to your question is obviously "Yes" :grin:

Now it's just a case of which one to buy.

A second hand TV Type 4 Nagler 17mm is within your budget and they are fantastic EPs and it would make an ideal partner for your 12mm :wink: 

√(27 x 12) = 18

The steps in magnification in the 27-18-12 range is nicely spaced (1.5 times each step)

I'm extremely satisfied with my Morpheus 17.5 mm and would suggest that. 

17 minutes ago, DRT said:

The answer to your question is obviously "Yes" :grin:

Now it's just a case of which one to buy.

A second hand TV Type 4 Nagler 17mm is within your budget and they are fantastic EPs and it would make an ideal partner for your 12mm :wink: 

Exactly what I was thinking ?

A question I have also asked myself many times and found the answer was always YES. I used a 17mm Nagler for a few weeks at the back end of last year, very good addition to any case in my view. I owned the 17.3mm Delos for some time too, again top draw.

I thought I didn’t need anything in between but it turns out it is too bigger gap. The Morpheus does sound very tempting. But so does the 17mm type 4 and the Delite ? I don’t suppose anyone is selling a type 4 ?

The gap IMO between the 12mm and the 27mm is a large spread and could do with something to fill this. 

The 17mm Nag seems interesting. But I will recommend one of my most used eyepiece's in this  spread range. That is the TV type 5 Nagler 20mm . This eyepiece in my view is just great ,such a quality of sharpness in the optics , great colour ,and fov around 80d with very good eye relief. I use this with stunning effect with the fast newt ,and frac. A perfect all rounder. 

Some of the Naglers are just still so good, even in today's vast choice of eyepieces. The Nag 20mm in my opinion is first class ,and judging from what I paid for mine then a second hand one would be in budget.

Hope this helps☺ 

14 minutes ago, Timebandit said:

TV type 5 Nagler 20mm

15 minutes ago, Timebandit said:

with very good eye relief

That's interesting, and possibly reassuring; I see the TV website quotes it as having 12mm eye relief. This is the same as the T6 Naglers, which I have and really like - but I hesitate to call the eye relief "very good". Good enough for me, for sure, but not close in this respect to the 20mm offered by XW, LVW, Delos and DeLite, among others.

Does the eye relief on the 20mm T5 seem longer in actual use?

Simon , I was hoping someone would mention the 20 mm T5 as this is very appealing I have read some rave reviews ... I guess I will have to try and find one ?

John, I did own the Delos for some time and it was indeed like the Ethos apart from the 100 degree.... the choice is proving to be quite difficult ?

I think that I too would suggest a Tele Vue 18.2mm DeLite, currently £244, 10% discount sale (available Wide Screen Centre). Inside stated budget, very comfortable eye placement, compact, relaxing to see field stop and quite ethos, Delos like in terms of contrast.  

7 minutes ago, scarp15 said:

I think that I too would suggest a Tele Vue 18.2mm DeLite, currently £244, 10% discount sale (available Wide Screen Centre). Inside stated budget, very comfortable eye placement, compact, relaxing to see field stop and quite ethos, Delos like in terms of contrast.  

I see Telescope House have also reduced their prices by 10%, but they do not have the 18.2mm DeLite in stock at the moment. 

5 hours ago, Pig said:

I am wondering what eyepiece to get that falls between mm 27mm Panoptic and 12mm Nagler.

I'll be the last to discourage anyone from another eyepiece - it would be a screaming hypocrisy - but as I'm in a similar bind with my newt set, I'm taking a serious look at your title question: do you need another?

Screenshot_20180610-161836.thumb.png.b61f603b1023917143c50213da07307f.png

I'm not sure you do. :rolleyes2:

3 minutes ago, iPeace said:

I'll be the last to discourage anyone from another eyepiece - it would be a screaming hypocrisy - but as I'm in a similar bind with my newt set, I'm taking a serious look at your title question: do you need another?

Screenshot_20180610-161836.thumb.png.b61f603b1023917143c50213da07307f.png

I'm not sure you do. :rolleyes2:

I have considered this .....  this is why I let the 21mm Ethos go for the 27mm Panoptic, very little between them. However, there is quite a difference in the magnification that can help at times ? especially at the mid to low power.

1 hour ago, iPeace said:

That's interesting, and possibly reassuring; I see the TV website quotes it as having 12mm eye relief. This is the same as the T6 Naglers, which I have and really like - but I hesitate to call the eye relief "very good". Good enough for me, for sure, but not close in this respect to the 20mm offered by XW, LVW, Delos and DeLite, among others.

Does the eye relief on the 20mm T5 seem longer in actual use?

Obviously eye relief can be a very personal thing. To me any eyepiece that you are more than comfortable in using has very good eye relief. I have always found the 20mm Nag very nice in eye position and found that i can use it for long periods of time without any eye relief problems. Other opinions may differ?

1 hour ago, Pig said:

Simon , I was hoping someone would mention the 20 mm T5 as this is very appealing I have read some rave reviews ... I guess I will have to try and find one ?

This eyepiece I have had for a few years Shaun. And is my goto eyepiece for wider fov and the fainter DSO. It is one eyepiece along with the Pentax XW that I have never thought of selling in all the years I have owned it. Personally I really like using it and really rate its quality.

The 18ES is a VG eyepiece Shaun as is the short eyerelief 16T5 Nagler. They are both behind the 17E in the contrast dept though and the Nikon 17HW will be here in a few days to compare.

Just my thoughts here- the 16T5 does not outshine the 18ES 82... if I was going to shortlist the choices it would be the Delite, Delos and the Morpheus.

16 minutes ago, jetstream said:

The 18ES is a VG eyepiece Shaun as is the short eyerelief 16T5 Nagler. They are both behind the 17E in the contrast dept though and the Nikon 17HW will be here in a few days to compare.

Just my thoughts here- the 16T5 does not outshine the 18ES 82... if I was going to shortlist the choices it would be the Delite, Delos and the Morpheus.

I must agree the Morpheus is looking very tempting.... mind you so does that Nikon ? for some reason I just don’t fancy the ES, I can’t really say why but they do not appeal to me.

Archived