Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ES 14mm 82 degrees?

I have that same eyepiece, had it for two years, i can say that at least for me it has been one of my better eyepieces, eye relief i find good and there has never been any issues visually.

im not sure what the kidney bean issue is though, it seems to be a well built weighty eyepiece, i really have no complaints, colours seem nice and as accurate as can be, maybe a little on the warm side slightly.

Others with more experience may have different opinions, but i am a stickler and it passed my tests!

Hi there, I find the ES82 14mm a superb ep and one of my most used.  I have not experienced any kidney-beaning but as a spectacle free observer I find it extremely comfortable to use.

I have not used the equivalent Nagler so cannot give a direct comparison. But I have had this EP for several month now and I agree with Robin. It is one of my most used and I really like it.

Be aware though that the eye relief feels much shorter than the specification would indicate and I would imagine it is not usable for spectacle wearers. I have 3 ES82's and they are all feel shorter on eye relief than you might think. I would be interested to know if Naglers are similar in this regard.

Even so, I too find this one very comfortable and easy to use. I find it more forgiving as regards eye placement than, for example, the 8.8mm ES82. 

Gordon

I have the original smoothie 14mm Meade 14mm 4000 UWA, and it is just usable with eyeglasses, but it is a 30+ year old eyepiece.  I would recommend the 14mm Morpheus since it is much improved and has only a slightly narrower AFOV.  It is super comfy with eyeglasses.

According to astronomy.tools the Morpheus 14 (yellow) and Nagler 13 (green) have almost the same TFOV. 

Morpheus 12.5 has more TFOV than my 13 Vixen LVW, but less than the other 2 eps. 

astronomy_tools_fov (6).png

22 hours ago, GordonD said:

I have not used the equivalent Nagler so cannot give a direct comparison. But I have had this EP for several month now and I agree with Robin. It is one of my most used and I really like it.

Be aware though that the eye relief feels much shorter than the specification would indicate and I would imagine it is not usable for spectacle wearers. I have 3 ES82's and they are all feel shorter on eye relief than you might think. I would be interested to know if Naglers are similar in this regard.

Even so, I too find this one very comfortable and easy to use. I find it more forgiving as regards eye placement than, for example, the 8.8mm ES82. 

Gordon

Hi Gordon, as a general rule, Naglers are similar with eye relief not as good as that specified.  Having said that I have the Nagler 13mm which I bought second hand recently and have not had chance to use it yet, but I would like to make a comparison soon as I have a great respect for the performace of the ES82's.  I also use the 8.8mm quite frequently often putting the 14mm or the 8.8mm in to kick off, rather than as a reduction from a low power.  Again, I have not found eye placement a problem.

1 hour ago, Ags said:

I just wish it was an ES 16/82... If they made that, they wouldn't need to make a 14 and an 18mm, and the 16 would be much more useful for a 1.25" EP set.

I agree with you. I recently took out the ES82 18mm from my ep case because I found the 2" barrel cumbersome and replaced it with the 19mm Panoptic because it has a 1.25" barrel and is much lighter, which I prefer.  I have also recently bought the 16mm Nagler but have not had chance to try it yet, you might try this if your budget stretches that far?

I am thinking of the Morpheus 17.5 for the same reason, but the price of the ES 14/82 is much less painful :)

...actually the prices on FLO for Morphy's look very good... Hmmmm

• 10 months later...

Hi . Do you think that the ES 14 mm 82 degree, Or the ES 11 mm wold be a nice  eyepiece for the coronado pst solar telescope, if you want a eyepiece with a different experience and comfort ? And if so, witch of these 2  i should go for? If i go for the 11 mm model, then maby also will buy the ES 20mm 62 degree model. Thanks! ( my feeling says: the 11 and the 20 mm)

Archived