SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

BY JOVE, JUPITER IN DAYLIGHT.

BRADLEY 1953

JUPITER :     JUNE  5th   2018.      21.15 -- 22.30  hrs  BST ,  155mm  f9  APO   175x    seeing  2/3.  mirror diagonal.                                                                                                                                                                                                               For me the giant planet currently disappears behind the forest oaks at 10.30pm,  and thus i need to start observing very early on at this location, anytime after 9.00pm.  Under near daylight conditions on tuesday evening, the seeing was somewhat better than average, at least for a while, and worthy so i thought, of a quick sketch, which hopefully I have successfully uploaded. Unfortunately the GRS was not on view at this time, and worse still, all too soon jupiter will be lost to me totally, at least for this apparition.      Best wishes  Chris Bradley.

S1000005.JPG

Thanks everyone.  The original sketch was only about 1/3rd this size, and the smaller version does look much better and more accurately portrays what I actually see through the scope. Somehow during uploading the image was greatly enlarged. I am by nature a computer Luddite.  I usually start with a simple jupiter blank downloaded from one of several websites available, and use a few different pencils left over from my younger days. It may not be an entirely precise rendering of Jupiter but captures the mood of the giant planet I feel. If the GRS is on view I am often tempted to use coloured pencils, but not so far this opposition.  chris.

On 17/06/2018 at 23:35, BRADLEY 1953 said:

Thanks everyone.  The original sketch was only about 1/3rd this size, and the smaller version does look much better and more accurately portrays what I actually see through the scope. Somehow during uploading the image was greatly enlarged. I am by nature a computer Luddite.  I usually start with a simple jupiter blank downloaded from one of several websites available, and use a few different pencils left over from my younger days. It may not be an entirely precise rendering of Jupiter but captures the mood of the giant planet I feel. If the GRS is on view I am often tempted to use coloured pencils, but not so far this opposition.  chris.

Downloading a blank from one of several websites is Star Trek tech to me. I usually use a slightly compressed roll of selotape to form Jupiter's elliptical  outline. All those years of watching Blue Peter when I was a kid are finally paying off! :happy7:

Archived