Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

Pid

new to imaging few pictures

hi all i have been a member on here for a while just not really posted much ,anyway I have been imaging now for a few months and thought I would share a few pictures of mine with you hope you all enjoy .

all taken with 

Heq5 mount

Skywatcher 130pds 

Nikon d3300 

Zwo asi 120mc usb3  guide camera  

but also just purchased a canon 450d modified to take over from my Nikon 

any advice is greatly appreciated thanks pid

bodes.thumb.jpg.84fbfe5bc1acebbea7a8376736a74835.jpg

1370786481_dumbelljpeg.thumb.jpg.be925671bc02716be06887e2a22a60ee.jpg

2016338114_horseheadjpeg.thumb.jpg.9fe4f2c206b1775eaf423924ab558811.jpg

1365918690_jpegrosetta.thumb.jpg.bf8d45e8516a90c09267e666da9c3f6c.jpg

1455884455_jpegghost.thumb.jpg.78c08e5d2c3ccfbc6d76096fca0c788b.jpg

518587694_jpegbubble.thumb.jpg.2f527ddc4f1dcc7403082a064b0b1de7.jpg

jpeg.thumb.jpg.3e908abf794277acd414f243b5f90133.jpg

2062981083_m45jpeg.thumb.jpg.cf7369ccb68c006b0b95ae088d99636e.jpg

hope you all like and any advice is greatly appreciated thanks pid

double cluster.jpg

jpeg orion.jpg

leo triplet single.jpg

virgo photoshop.jpg

whirlpool jpegf.jpg

Edited by Pid
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Good start!  Some lovely images there.  Advice, not sure, they are pretty dam good, focus is bang on and so is guiding.  Maybe you could have a look at talking and subtracting flat frames for a few of the images as that would get rid of some of the uneven illumination but really, they are very nice images and you should be proud of them.

Nice pics but one piece of advice I will suggest....post them in deep sky imaging not observing...can we move these pls mods

These are incredible - do you mind if I ask you for the details of the leo triplet (subs length etc)? I only ask cos my first attempt was garbage!

Nice images, I really like the image of the double cluster. Only a few months in the hobby, thats a great start.

Great images.

A bit more time in time in post processing and they could be really good. Here's my 30 second re-process version of your Pleiades image minus the gradients and with a neutral grey background for instance:

41780334765_ac8c5a0207_b.jpg

Edited by laser_jock99
  • Like 2

Thanks all yes I need to Learn to take flats and get the back ground right as I am actually In a dark sky area in Northumberland  so I am really lucky and as for the double cluster picture that is one single exposure of I think 2mins and the Leo was the same maybe a little longer It was taken late winter just as Leo was getting higher in the. Sky 

• Like 2

Hi, welcome and a good start.

My advice as a first step would be to get the hang of colour balance. M42, the moon, the Rosette and M27 are high in green. Green is a problem colour in DS imaging and at least two prgrammes address it. There's a PS plug-in, Hasta La Vista Green, free or donation from the Deep Sky Colors website of Rogelio Bernal Andreo. Or Pixinsight has SCNR green in its toolbox.

The Triplet and Markarian's have the opposite imbalance - too little green tipping the images into the magentas.

The first thing, if you use Photoshop, is to use the eyedropper colour sampler tool set to 3X3 or 5X5 Average, to measure the background sky in red, green and blue. Personally I aim for a value of 23 or a bit less in each channel. You can do initial adjustments in Levels, moving the black point slider in individual channels to get the top left of each histogram peak aligned. However, the best tool for the job is in Pixinsight. Dynamic Background Extraction. There is a good plug in for Ps called Gradient Xterminator. Not free but pretty good. You can also train your eye to pick up these imbalances.

And the other advice would just be to take much, much more data to transform the quality of your images. There are no short cuts in this game...

Olly

Thanks Olly I will give that a go there is only a few which are short subs most are over 1 2 hours which I no is probley still top short. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Mandy D
      I've just bought a Daystar Solar Scout 60mm DS for H-alpha imaging of the Sun. I am now looking for a suitable camera to use with it. I know I could use my DSLR, but for H-alpha that is not going to give best results, so am looking for a dedicated monochrome imaging camera. I have identified the ZWO ASI178MM as a possibility that fits my budget and has a large enough (I think) sensor to image the entire Solar disc if I use a 0.5 focal reducer which will give me a total focal length of 465 mm.
      Does anyone have any experience of this camera in this application, or know if it will be suitable? I know it does not have an IR blocking filter, which I understand is an advantage for H-alpha. The spec is available here:
      https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/zwo-asi178mm-usb-30-monochrome-cmos-camera.html
      Thanks
      Mandy

• By stardude07
      Hello,
      I am wanting (not really 😪) to sell my Stellarvue SV105-3SV with tube rings [not shown in pictures]. The telescope is in great condition with very little dust and no scratches. There is one very small ding in the dew shield paint but it is not dented and it is almost not even noticeable. It happened when I took the telescope out of the saddle and it lightly hit the saddle. The telescope has never been dropped or had any issues and is optically perfect with a strehl of .95 or higher (claimed by Stellarvue).
      I've only used this telescope for imaging however I've once or twice thrown an eyepiece in it during a star party or two and it's VERY crisp with no false color.
      Currently I live in Italy so that's where it can be picked up or shipped from. Price is negotiable however Stellarvue says it is worth around $1200-$1500 USD. The nice thing is you wouldn't have any VAT from Stellarvue . Please let me know if you have any questions, comments or are interested.
      Lastly, here is a link to some images that I've taken with it and what it looks like mounted up: https://www.astrobin.com/users/chriscorkill/
      SV105-3SV Specifications
      Aperture: 105mm Apochromatic Precision Triplet Focuser: 3" Dual Speed Focuser with 2" and 1.25" eye piece adapters F Ratio: f/7 Focal Length: 735mm Color Correction: Excellent Minimum Tube Length: 16" in travel mode Tube Diameter: ~ 4-1/8" (105mm) Dew Shield Diameter: ~ 5-3/8" (137mm) OTA Weight: ~12lbs (5.4kg) Retractable Dewshield: Yes

• By stardude07
      Hello,
      I have a question about filterwheels; SBIG filter wheels specifically. As far as I know they are the only ones that really use the 8 position filter wheels. So I have it loaded with L, R, G, B, Ha, OIII, and SII. So that is seven filters, what goes in the 8th slot???
      Thank you for your insight,
      Christopher
    • By G4EQZ
      Hi, Folks
       I am only a few weeks into astronomy and started off with a Celestron 9.25" Evo on the standard AZ mount. I guess with hindsight this wasn't the best place to start and also with hindsight I would have done better to have bought a GEM mount. Anyway, lesson learned and at 71 years old I have to speed up the learning process compared to younger enthusiasts  I have 2 issues. 1/ Its a pain dragging the scope out into the garden and setting it up every time I think the fickled weather might be obliging. 2/ I now know that the mount I have is useless for long exposures and a wedge is fiddly to get polar aligned.
      My question is, though I gather wedges are a PITA to setup etc is if I was to build or buy a pier for the backyard and use my existing mount + a wedge is this a reasonable way to go? Though it's fiddly to set the thing up once set I could leave the mount, wedge, etc covered up and would just need to drop the OTA on when I wanted to use it.  Is this reasonable or am I missing something fundamental down near the bottom end of my learning curve
      Any advice much appreciated and don't feel you have to spare my feelings
    • By Stargazer33
      Hi, this question has probably been done to death here, but can I ask the community to help me decide on a new camera?
      After struggling with my very glitchy QHY5LIIc camera for a while, as well as having a forced break from astronomy, I have decided to get a new camera. After all the problems I've been having with the QHY, I really don't want to use this manufacturer again. I know lots of people use them quite happily, but once bitten ...
      I have been looking at the ZWO cameras - OSC, as I haven't the time, clear skies, or patients to do LRGB imaging!
      I have about £250 to spend, which I may be able to push to £300 if I wait a bit. ? So I've been looking at the ASI224MC, ASI290MC and the ASI178MC cameras.
      I mainly do planetary/Luna imaging, but I have also dabbled in a bit of DSO and would like to continue with both. I have a C9.25 and a ST80 guide scope. I know these aren't ideal for DSOs but please humour me!
      I think from the specs/information that the 224 is probably the best option. Although the resolution and QE are the worst of the three, the well depth and read noise are the best and the fps is pretty good too.
      I don't know if there are better/cheaper cameras using the same chips, such as Altair's range. I just don't want to make the same mistake that I did with the QHY!n
      Any help/advice you can give will be much appreciated.?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.