Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter Red Spot origin Theories

Hello All,

I was thinking about the GRS, more to the point about how could it have started. According the web and NASA, it's basically a mystery with no answers.

Is it possible that the GRS has been caused by a Mars or Earth sized planet falling into Jupiter? Perhaps originating from the asteroid belt... maybe after a planet was pulled apart by Jupiters gravity tidal forces and drew the biggest one into itself, leaving the reminder to create the asteroid belt. 

Seeing that the GRS is shrinking, initially the GRS was much, much bigger than it is now, perhaps half of Jupiter itself as the plunge happened. Could it be that the planet that fell into Jupiter is basically disintegrating and once it's fully absorbed into Jupiter that there will not be a GRS any more?

I'm curious, what are you thoughts and theories on this?

5 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

Hello All,

I was thinking about the GRS, more to the point about how could it have started. According the web and NASA, it's basically a mystery with no answers.

Is it possible that the GRS has been caused by a Mars or Earth sized planet falling into Jupiter? Perhaps originating from the asteroid belt... maybe after a planet was pulled apart by Jupiters gravity tidal forces and drew the biggest one into itself, leaving the reminder to create the asteroid belt. 

Seeing that the GRS is shrinking, initially the GRS was much, much bigger than it is now, perhaps half of Jupiter itself as the plunge happened. Could it be that the planet that fell into Jupiter is basically disintegrating and once it's fully absorbed into Jupiter that there will not be a GRS any more?

I'm curious, what are you thoughts and theories on this?

Don't know much on that particular subject, but I suspect that GRS is not millions or hundreds of thousands of years old. If something planet sized (or even moon sized) plunged into Jupiter I think we would see some serious perturbations of orbits of other bodies in solar system. From what I can gather - orbits are stable and have been such for at least couple of million years now (don't take numbers seriously, I'm just part guessing and part trying to emphasize time spans involved).

2 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Don't know much on that particular subject, but I suspect that GRS is not millions or hundreds of thousands of years old. If something planet sized (or even moon sized) plunged into Jupiter I think we would see some serious perturbations of orbits of other bodies in solar system. From what I can gather - orbits are stable and have been such for at least couple of million years now (don't take numbers seriously, I'm just part guessing and part trying to emphasize time spans involved).

Yes, but how do we know that the asteroid belt is not the result of those pertubations?

It is an interesting question. In the end some source of energy has caused or is causing it to exist and something is limiting the rate at which it is dissipating energy such that it doesn't just fizzle out more quickly.

Are there other, smaller and less colourful storms on Jupiter (or Saturn?) that are also long-lived?

Perhaps it is merely a feature of gas giants that their storms last hundreds or even thousands of years rather than blowing themselves out as they do here when they hit land?

If the GRS is the only long-lived feature on the planet then an impact seems like a feasible cause.

...or it's just the gateway that the Starfighters exit from? :smile: 

12 hours ago, vlaiv said:

I think asteroid belt is good indication that massive collision did not happen in close past (close on cosmic scale). Otherwise there would have been period of intense bombardment of the inner planets.

Quick search online for asteroid belt formation gives this:

https://www.space.com/16105-asteroid-belt.html

Or the wrong model has been used to simulate the heavy bombardment... perhaps the theoretical physicists need to use different simulator formulae, a simulator where a planet between Mars and Jupiter gets pulled apart relatively slowly, hence no necessary bombardment?

10 hours ago, DRT said:

Are there other, smaller and less colourful storms on Jupiter (or Saturn?) that are also long-lived?

Perhaps it is merely a feature of gas giants that their storms last hundreds or even thousands of years rather than blowing themselves out as they do here when they hit land?

If the GRS is the only long-lived feature on the planet then an impact seems like a feasible cause.

...or it's just the gateway that the Starfighters exit from? :smile: 

Isn't the GRS the portal where Dr Zarkov and kid napped crew went through in Flash Gordon... flash aaahaaaa...

Archived