SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

asi1600MM gain

andrew s

Just be aware if you use the gain in e/ADU in any processing and you take the value from the plots on the FLO website it refers to the 12 bit ADU value. If you use the reported 16bit ADU you will get the wrong answer. You will be out by a factor of 16 (2^16/2^12)

Not a big issue for most but...

Regards Andrew

20 minutes ago, andrew s said:

Just be aware if you use the gain in e/ADU in any processing and you take the value from the plots on the FLO website it refers to the 12 bit ADU value. If you use the reported 16bit ADU you will get the wrong answer. You will be out by a factor of 16 (2^16/2^12)

Not a big issue for most but...

Regards Andrew

Yes, I usually divide all my subs with 16 before I start any processing - it is lossless operation and can be performed on 16bit data.

Just to add, for anyone who will be using 8bit mode, although this is speculation (I have not confirmed it) I believe it is indeed so:

Since ASI cameras have 12/10 bit mode, when you use 8 bit mode, camera internally uses 10 bit mode to do ADC and then sends out 8bit data. Principle is the same as above: MSB is aligned and LSB is either padded with 0 (in above case) or truncated.

So, if you want to use 8bit mode, either for planetary, or any sort of work where amount of data and transfer speeds are important - use gain setting that provides e/ADU of 0.25 (or other multiples of 4) to avoid/minimize truncation induced noise.

Archived