Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

La Palma Lighthouse

knobby

Wasn't sure where to post this but I'm going to the south west of La Palma in a few months and noticed on the dark sky maps that it's pretty dark (understatement) near the lighthouse at the southern tip of the island, as dark as the north where the observatory is sited.

Anyone been there ?

Knobby

I visit La Palma several times each year with scope and binoculars.

I have visited the lighthouse several times. Not to observe though. It's an interesting area for a daytime visit, with the volcano nearby, the "salt farm" very close and a rather "swish" restaurant...

Near the lighthouse is the parking area for the restaurant. At night, until the restaurant closes and staff leave there will be a number of cars up and down the access road sweeping their lights back and forth on the hairpins as they ascend or descend and in the car park. Also, the restaurant is "glass fronted and sided" and until those are extinguished it's lit up like a tomato growing greenhouse. Oh, and there's a bloomin' great light atop the lighthouse !!

But you're right, looking up it can be dark down there once everyone else has gone. But depending on where you are staying there are better spots... Where are you staying ?

Knobby,

Mrs Monkey and myself stayed in Las Indias, up the mountain a bit from where you're going, a couple of years ago. it was amazing.

It was a bit weird, because there are street lights to catch your eye, but, because they are not permitted to shine upwards, the sky was super dark. The trick was to find a place in the shadows.

Also, if you have access to a car, it is well worth driving up the big mountain to get above any clouds in the night-time. When the moon peered above the mountain ridge, I thought is was a car with main beams coming towards me! :) 

• 2 months later...

Knobby,

For reasons best known to the gov't dept that authorised it there have been 8 streetlights recently installed around the lighthouse. I really don't know why but it scuppered my plans for some photos/timelapse at that spot. 

Overall though its pretty dark (actually seriously dark) throughout the whole area :)

There's a lot of roadworks going on to shore up and widen the road down the south west side of the island (a good thing, the road wasn't great) but a few miles up to the north along the main road there's a roadside 'mirador'  (viewpoint) (called El Charco I think). I didn't get the chance to use it myself but it will be very very dark there!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived