Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

JudeHS

Hello from Reading!

Hi all, 

Been fascinated by space for a long time but never used a telescope. Looking to buy my first soon and get into astronomy.

What do you think about the Orion SkyQuest XT8 Classic Dobsonian Telescope Kit as a starter for mainly looking although might take some pics through my phone for memories?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Orion-SkyQuest-Classic-Dobsonian-Telescope/dp/B01M04SRCY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1528380737&sr=1-1&keywords=Orion+SkyQuest+XT8+Classic+Dobsonian+Telescope+Kit - link for scope

• Like 1

Welcome to SGL! There are loads of really great folks around, if you ever have any questions, theres sure to be someone who can help! :) 

I would say that's probably one of the best starter sets you can get--basically everything you need to start off with included within the one kit. It should have enough light gathering power for faint galaxies and nebulae, but enough magnification for some good views of the planets and moon. Have fun and clear skies! 

John

Edited by JohnSadlerAstro

Hi @JudeHS and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

Are you Reading, Berkshire or Reeading, Pennsylvania? 

Reading, Berkshire has two monthly meetings and are held at St. Peters Church Hall, Earley. Main meeting is the serious stuff. Every third Saturday, excluding December when it is the second Saturday and no meetings during July & August. The second meeting of the month is of the following Friday of the month, for total newbies/beginners/introduction etc and social chit chat sort of thing. A week this Saturday, [17th June], will be the AGM and you will be more than welcome to come along.

Here is the link ---> http://www.readingastro.org.uk/

Edited by Philip R

Welcome. Hope you have lots of fun with the hobby and the forum.

Your choice of scope is good. ?

Hi Jude, and welcome from me here in Swindon, just down the road from you if you are in Berkshire!  That kit looks really good, but as a general rule you should buy your kit from a dedicated astronomy supplier such as the forum sponsors, FLO, but good luck with whaterver you decide and have fun. 

1 hour ago, Philip R said:

Hi @JudeHS and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

Are you Reading, Berkshire or Reeading, Pennsylvania? 

I am from Berkshire - thanks for the link. I will check it out as soon as I get my scope 

Hi Jude, welcome to SGL :smile:

Hi, Jude, and welcome to SGL.

I don't know that specific scope, but an 8" dob is going to give you great views.

Hello and welcome to the community, hope you enjoy your time with us.

Clear Sky's.