Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Ever Refractor

Hi,

I've just bought a 90mm f8.8 OpticStar refractor from @Mr niall. I'm very excited to see how it performs on the moon and planets especially, but this is the first proper refractor ive ever had. Is there anything I need to know about the operation, use or maintenance of a refractor?

I don't want to mess up! :D 

Thanks for looking. :) 

John

Congrats on your purchase :)

The beauty of a Refractor is very little to cover. One thing I would say is don't be tempted to clean the lens all the time. A little dust is not going to matter, buy an air blower (as in one you use for a camera lens) and use that very occasionally.

Just enjoy it really!..

19 minutes ago, Mr niall said:

I suppose I'll have to change my signature then (sigh...) ? haha 

I shall copy paste it into mine lol. :D I'm sorry I cant offer remote control, but that would be rather costly. :(

That's exciting though, I can't wait to try it out on Jupiter!

John

1 hour ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

Is there anything I need to know about the operation, use or maintenance of a refractor?

Just be aware that if you are used to the false-color-free image of reflector telescopes, you will have to learn to live with a bit of false color (generally violet) around brighter objects with an achromatic refractor.  At f8.8, it won't be nearly as bad as in f5 short tube refractors.

I have to say, that avatar of yours is quite difficult to stop staring at:

giphy.gif.f5db82dcbc6242a2e1d84df8745477

Hi,

I guess it might be a bit odd to start with, I'll do some tests on Arcturus when I can do 1st light, and see how much there is.

On the avatar, you are the 3rd or 4th person to mention it today lol. I will have to change it or ill give all the folks hypnosis. :D 

John

7 minutes ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

On the avatar, you are the 3rd or 4th person to mention it today lol. I will have to change it or ill give all the folks hypnosis.

Time you changed it, it's getting a bit dog eared :grin:

Dave

26 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Time you changed it, it's getting a bit dog eared :grin:

Dave

?

25 minutes ago, Demonperformer said:

Isn't that how you get people to part with nice scopes?

?

How DARE you! ;) 

The telescope was bought before doge avatar.

Ok, I will find something less eye-catching.

EDIT: Now this is nice: a maneki-neko! :D 

John

23 minutes ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

Ok, I will find something less eye-catching

I thought you might change it, so I linked directly to it so people wouldn't wonder later what I was referring to.

Archived