Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Qhy8l last night

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Thalestris24 said:

The screen should be white - like mine! Was that with the qhy8l off the scope? If not please try with just the camera on it's own, not connected to anything, just pointed at a light wall.

Either way didn't make any difference.

I've been trying to get sense out of the qhyccd help team. I emailed him the screenshot also and he said to send my camera to China. So I think next week I'll cross my fingers and send it ?

Just to check, with the camera not attached, you have a clear view of the sensor? Tec cooler on, fan on, all lights on? Connected to usb 2.0 (not usb 3)?

ps I'm a bit puzzled as earlier you said the image darkened if you put your hand over it but your screen grab is black??

pps You're connecting the qhy8l directly to your pc/laptop just via the standard short usb cable?

1 hour ago, Thalestris24 said:

Just to check, with the camera not attached, you have a clear view of the sensor? Tec cooler on, fan on, all lights on? Connected to usb 2.0 (not usb 3)?

ps I'm a bit puzzled as earlier you said the image darkened if you put your hand over it but your screen grab is black??

pps You're connecting the qhy8l directly to your pc/laptop just via the standard short usb cable?

Yeah I connect to usb 2.

If I move sliders to brighten the screen it will darken when I cover the lens.

I've tried the short cable longer cable any cable I can find. Tec cooler fan and all lights on.

2 hours ago, Stu Wilson said:

I emailed him the screenshot also and he said to send my camera to China. So I think next week I'll cross my fingers and send it

That's a good idea. From what you posted here, you should at least have had a few white images.

Good luck

I don't know... Other than trying it with a different computer and/or with APT + ascom driver I don't know what to suggest. Perhaps have a word with Bern at Modern Astronomy - he might be willing to check the camera/psu for you.

Louise

You should explore all the avenues you can. Try different capture software. Both APT and Sharpcap are free. If it's the same with those then it doesn't look good. Have you got a local astro club or shop that could take a look? What will be the outcome if you send it back to QHY?

Where are you based?  I have a QHY8 and have had it for years so know of its foibles!    It does look like its faulty but I would be happy to take a look and see how I get on with it before you send it all the way it China.  Have you spoken to the person you bought it from? Ask them if they know what gain/offset they used and what app etc.  I’m in Edinburgh BTW, if you are anywhere near....

I got the gain offset off the guy but that's about it. He said what program he used. Think it was neb3.

I've had so many weird things happen with this camera it's untrue.

For hours night's days I'd get nothing then hey Preston moon in sky and capture moon.

Then images appear in preview window.

Get focus.

Then nothing.

Then get couple of images of nebula

Then get absolutely nothing.

Briefly spoke to Bern from modern other week and got new cables and cable clamps and hey no same stuff. He also said in email worth a try with cables as failing that it's probably send to China.

Ok I got it second hand and looks like I've been fleeced but how come nobody in the UK can test or repair these things?

I'm praying if I send it to China they at least do something or send replacement.

I'm absolutely gutted to say the least.

Honest the guy in qhyccd has been helpful in saying send it here (china) but what will the outcome be?

From what you describe here, the problem may very well be an internal faulty contact. I think that since you bought it second hand, it's unlikely qhy will replace the camera. Especially if the camera is past qhy warranty date. If they do, that would be a HUGE plus for them re customer support. If they offer to repair it, they should inform you of any cost before they start working on it. If you then decide that it gets too expensive, they'll return the camera. If I were you, I'd contact qhy and ask what the cost will be for them to diagnose the problem, and who will cover return shipping charges. It's better to be clear about this beforehand. The serial number on the camera should tell them the production date and if the original warranty still applies.

Good luck

I have loose contacts on mine but the cable clamp works a treat. Also if it is a dodgy cable. It will usually disconnect from Windows and you will hear the bing bong as it does so. I still suspect its actually OK and is a driver issue. I have a laptop that I can't get mine to work on but my other 2 are fine

I have thought there is a great possibility of it being one of those 2 issues. I want to get a new laptop so that would clear up that issue. I think I'll also in the meantime remove all software and try a previous version of it and see if that resolves anything and yes I need to get things clear with qhy before sending it if need be.

Yeah, having another laptop/pc to try it on would be useful. Maybe another member near you can help out? Laptop usb connectors can often be dodgy. You always have to make sure that the usb power settings are set not to switch off to save power. Another thing, if it's an older laptop you also have to make sure you're connected to a usb 2 high speed port. Usb is the root cause of many astro connection problems. Can I ask how old your laptop is and what spec it is? It could also be a problem with an internal dodgy solder joint in the camera. It's hard to tell.  

Louise

20 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

Yeah, having another laptop/pc to try it on would be useful. Maybe another member near you can help out? Laptop usb connectors can often be dodgy. You always have to make sure that the usb power settings are set not to switch off to save power. Another thing, if it's an older laptop you also have to make sure you're connected to a usb 2 high speed port. Usb is the root cause of many astro connection problems. Can I ask how old your laptop is and what spec it is? It could also be a problem with an internal dodgy solder joint in the camera. It's hard to tell.  

Louise

The laptop is an acer aspire about 6yr old.

I do use the usb2 connection on it.

I'm definitely getting a new one in the next week or so. Won't be doing any China post until everything is pointing at camera for sure.

In the past I've always sent cameras directly to QHY for repairs, most recently they asked me to use Bern at Modern Astronomy for the return as they were having shipments held up in customs!

There cameras have a 2 year warranty after that they normally charge for repairs, my last repair was a complete A/D circuit board at $102 (yes dollars they use a paypal account) this included return shipment.

From my experience with QHY cameras I'd say they have very low noise & excellent cooling but need repairs more often than other makes I've owned.

The other thing I've noticed when I've had repairs they remove all the info from the IC's (scratch off the ID's) maybe the repair guy is a little paranoid about repairs moving outside of China.

Peter

15 hours ago, whipdry said:

In the past I've always sent cameras directly to QHY for repairs, most recently they asked me to use Bern at Modern Astronomy for the return as they were having shipments held up in customs!

There cameras have a 2 year warranty after that they normally charge for repairs, my last repair was a complete A/D circuit board at $102 (yes dollars they use a paypal account) this included return shipment.

From my experience with QHY cameras I'd say they have very low noise & excellent cooling but need repairs more often than other makes I've owned.

The other thing I've noticed when I've had repairs they remove all the info from the IC's (scratch off the ID's) maybe the repair guy is a little paranoid about repairs moving outside of China.

Peter

Ok well see what happens this week

Cheers

Ok to summarise.

I got a new laptop at the weekend solely to use for astronomical stuff.

Eqmod working the mount. Guide camera working. Photo shop .dss etc all loaded in and working.

QHY8L......... exactly the same ?

It's now in its box and getting posted to China today. Just hope costs of any repairs will be sensible and were reunited very quickly.

I'll let you all know how I get on.

Never mind. Think I may reattach the dslr and try some planetary imaging for a week or so.

Thanks everyone for trying to help.

Posted today 16 quid fully tracked and signature. Fingers crossed it gets there ok.

It's got the maximum insurance from royal mail which is only £250 (that's the worrying bit).

They could offer insurance of £1000 but the postage would of been £96

Huge difference but I'm sure everything will be good.

I'll post to let all my helpers know what fault and repair and of course cost occurs. And to celebrate upon its return hopefully I'll post a beautiful image of something. At the end of the day that's what we're all after ?

cheers

Stu 

Archived