Narrowband

Nytecam

callump

Very sad news. Nytecam was one of the first web sites/blogs I found instruction on when I started to get back into Astronomy with my little ETX. He always offered really solid and straight to the point advice. Condolences to his family  and friends.

Jim 

Always sad to lose a member, and My condolences to his family and friends.
Maurice was a bonus member of SGL, and his input was greatly appreciated by all those who benefited from knowledge
he imparted. He's going to be missed for sure.
RIP MG.

Very sad to hear this, he will be sadly missed here and on CN. He was a font of knowledge and one of the reasons I got into EAA - I was always especially pleased when I got a 'like' or encouraging comment from him.  He discovered a supernova too. RIP Maurice.

I remember being gobsmacked when he mentioned in one of his posts that he had been observing for 70 years... and in response to one of my posts, that he had something in common with Nova Canis Majoris 1934! Always great when the genuine experts are willing to share their knowledge with those of us of a more confused disposition. May he rest in peace.

He'll be sadly missed by the astronomical community - especially the spectroscope guys....

I had the pleasure of meeting with him many times while living in Cobham. Great guy.

Condolences to the family, RIP

The range of stuff he’d pushed the boundaries was impressive. His recent exploits with the Lodestar were enjoyable, especially when they ruffled American feathers. One of the old guard of Ewell AS, I should get along there more often.

my condolences to his family.

PEterw

• 4 weeks later...

I was hoping to meet him during my trip to London in a few weeks. He was the reason I built an observatory in heavy light pollution. Massive inspiration from all that he did from his garden. Thank you nytecam and rest in peace.

This is sad news. I hope Maurice realised what an enormous influence he had on a great many of us through his innovations and encouragement to not let any obstacle get in the way of observing. I'm glad he himself was able to pursue astronomy throughout so many decades even in the heavy light pollution of London. I'm not sure I would have got into (and become obsessed by) EAA without Maurice and his promotion of the humble Lodestar for many years (often alone, and in the face of skeptics). He was quick to encourage new observers and to promote the search for obscure and fascinating objects. His love of the sky, both near and ultra-deep, shone through in his posts. I will miss him.

Martin

Archived