Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Horizons has woken up.

johnfosteruk

It seems incredible that it is nearly 3 years since the Pluto flyby ... how time has (also) flown by. I guess the fact that the majority of the article talks about how it was nicknamed reveals exactly how little we know about it ... for the next 206 days!

I've just finished reading Alan Stern's book about the mission - fascinating! (and makes you appreciate just how much hard work went into getting the mission approved let alone designed, built, operated...)   Well worth a read.

Helen

On 09/06/2018 at 18:38, Helen said:

I've just finished reading Alan Stern's book about the mission - fascinating! (and makes you appreciate just how much hard work went into getting the mission approved let alone designed, built, operated...)   Well worth a read.

Helen

Now added to my wishlist :)

On 09/06/2018 at 21:14, Stub Mandrel said:

Amazing to think it's visiting a planetoid no-one knew existed when the space probe was launched!

Even more amazing to think that it's first target was a planet when it launched in January 2006, and now it's not :)

The irony is US Congress probably felt 'let Nasa tick off the last planet and they'll stop hassling us for ever more distant targets'.

Now there are plenty of similarly sized and no doubt equally interesting minor planets of equal status to Pluto and in urgent need of investigation ?

Archived