Narrowband

Europa/shadow/GRS tomorrow night

In case anyone interested hasn't noticed it, there is a potentially (weather permitting) nice transit tomorrow night at a convenient time of Europa, its shadow and the GRS, starting about 23:30 BST.

Chris

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ID3IWRY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 minutes ago, John said:

Don't give up - I've had some decent viewing recently when the forecast has been rather gloomy. I'll have a grab and go scope on standby anyway :smiley:

This is what i picked up on Amazon £129. It is a  great gab & go scope. I use a Horizon tripod to mount it on. I did mange to see the bands on 

Jupiter the other night with it. Jupiter does seem to give more detail when it is a bit gloomy. Cuts down the brightness a bit.     

Currently working in London and have been for the last year!  So just weekends for me ( when wife agrees ?) so not a happy bunny s? I hope you chaps get some good seeing ? stuy

I'm with John on this - travel hopefully! I have my mini grab 'n go ready (ED80, Vixen Porta2) for clear moments if it is cloudy as well.

I am not totally convinced that weather prediction is an "exact science" - my Granny's seaweed was about as good I reckon.

Chris

2 minutes ago, chiltonstar said:

I'm with John on this - travel hopefully! I have my mini grab 'n go ready (ED80, Vixen Porta2) for clear moments if it is cloudy as well.

I am not totally convinced that weather prediction is an "exact science" - my Granny's seaweed was about as good I reckon.

Chris

The trouble is everybody seems to give a different forecast. Does seem to

be pot luck @ times what your going to get weather wise.

Probably similar here, cloud around but hopefully enough clear patches to give it a go. I will put the Tak out and perhaps also see what I can see with the Tal Alkor 65mm Light Thimble ;) side by side!

23 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Haha I was out looking for this last night and wondered how it was gonna happen as the moons all looked too far away! Glad it’s tonight as weather looks more promising 

That’s easily done. I have missed things in the past by forgetting that 1am on a certain date is actually the night before, if that makes sense? DOH!

Heres a thought, Europa is a touch smaller than our Moon I believe, a bit over 3,120 km in diameter vs 3,470 km, or therabouts. The Earth is 4 times larger than that so, if we can see the tiny disk of Europa (around 1 arc second in apparent diameter) at the current distance of 674,529,570 km (source: Cartes du Ciel) we could certainly see the Earth as a disk from Jupiter and possibly even faint surface detail.

How far would the Earth and Moon appear to be apart at that distance though ?. Could we get them both in the eyepiece ? How bright would they appear I wonder ?

2 minutes ago, mdstuart said:

Now its a bit darker I can see three moons. I still cannot make out Europa..

Europa is against the disk of Jupiter currently Mark. I can just about make it out with my ED120 refractor at around 150x. It seems to get harder to see a transiting moon against the planet as it moves away from the limb towards the central meridian. I put this down to a limb darkening effect but it might be something else ?

I have the Heritage 130P with a 2.25x Baader classic barlow and the 13mm Ethos currently having a good  view of Jupiter. The Mag with this setup is 113X and a great FOV. I checked and Europa starts the shadow transit at 10.40 BST so about 25 minutes time. I note that the GRS transits the centre of Jupiter at 0.30 BST.

Archived