Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

runoffshed

Jupiter colour balance help please

Recommended Posts

Try putting the data through PIPP.

If you crop to 400 pixels square and tell it to choose teh best 100 frames it will be small enough to share.

You can try its debayer or tell it not to.

Also, if you check equalise channels and stretch histogram to 85% it might solve your issues.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Try putting the data through PIPP.

If you crop to 400 pixels square and tell it to choose teh best 100 frames it will be small enough to share.

You can try its debayer or tell it not to.

Also, if you check equalise channels and stretch histogram to 85% it might solve your issues.

Ok thanks. Will give it a go later today/ tomorrow and report back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Try putting the data through PIPP.

If you crop to 400 pixels square and tell it to choose teh best 100 frames it will be small enough to share.

You can try its debayer or tell it not to.

Also, if you check equalise channels and stretch histogram to 85% it might solve your issues.

Well I think this is what you meant (with my brain learning new software is a bit of a shot in the dark).  Anyway, output looks very similar to bayered output from AS2 before stacking so I guess my issue is, as already suggested, CA from my refractor/barlow/camera combi.  When I've had a chance to use the same set up on my newtonian I guess I will find out if it's the CA of the Vixen.  Still love the Vixen and, visually, never find the colour an issue.  Once again, thanks for all the help/input.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A long time ago I had a very similar issue with my 120mm evostar refractor and spc 880. Did my best in photoshop but to no great effect, but a bit more pleasing to my eyes (at a distance)😀

 

jupiter%2005_12_2012%2022_29_10__ST1139.jpg

jupiter 05_12_2012 21_47_43.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Cozzy said:

A long time ago I had a very similar issue with my 120mm evostar refractor and spc 880. Did my best in photoshop but to no great effect, but a bit more pleasing to my eyes (at a distance)😀

 

jupiter%2005_12_2012%2022_29_10__ST1139.jpg

jupiter 05_12_2012 21_47_43.jpg

I think that's a huge improvement and a really nice image. Amazing from an 80mm f5 as well! I guess if I was any good with Photoshop I could achieve something similar but I tend to use the simpler,and far less effective, Faststone. (free!) and haven't been able to achieve anything like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, runoffshed said:

Well I think this is what you meant (with my brain learning new software is a bit of a shot in the dark).  Anyway, output looks very similar to bayered output from AS2 before stacking so I guess my issue is, as already suggested, CA from my refractor/barlow/camera combi.  When I've had a chance to use the same set up on my newtonian I guess I will find out if it's the CA of the Vixen.  Still love the Vixen and, visually, never find the colour an issue.  Once again, thanks for all the help/input.

Jup_231728_pipp.avi

Can you upload a RAW or unbayered version?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, I think we have the answer and it is, as has been suggested, my refractor.  Although my newtonian wasn't cooled and the seeing was poor tonight, here is a Jupiter shot through it with the same barlow and camera and, to my eyes, the colours are pleasingly natural...even if the image is poor.  (As an aside, I have never used this telescope to image before or I wouldn't have asked the question that you have all so kindly being trying to help with.  It is so unwieldy with poor drive adjustments but I have worked out a method of getting the subject on the chip with it so may use it more in the future.)  Anyway, here is an image taken this evening, resized to 60%.  

224911611_Jup6618regi60percentresize.jpg.ee2a56425e042604297182cd9bfeffa0.jpg

Once again, thanks so much to everyone for your input and patience.  I have learnt a lot from the exchange and I am very grateful.  Many thanks all.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/06/2018 at 14:25, runoffshed said:

I think that's a huge improvement and a really nice image. Amazing from an 80mm f5 as well! I guess if I was any good with Photoshop I could achieve something similar but I tend to use the simpler,and far less effective, Faststone. (free!) and haven't been able to achieve anything like that.

It was the EVOstar120mm (4.75") f8 Achromat Refractor  and 3x balow 😃

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Cozzy said:

It was the EVOstar120mm (4.75") f8 Achromat Refractor  and 3x balow 😃

Sorry, no idea where 80mm f5 came from...another post by someone else maybe? ( Very relieved to hear it wasn't just an 80mm at f5!) Thanks again for help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.