Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter colour balance help please

runoffshed

Try putting the data through PIPP.

If you crop to 400 pixels square and tell it to choose teh best 100 frames it will be small enough to share.

You can try its debayer or tell it not to.

Also, if you check equalise channels and stretch histogram to 85% it might solve your issues.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

If you crop to 400 pixels square and tell it to choose teh best 100 frames it will be small enough to share.

Also, if you check equalise channels and stretch histogram to 85% it might solve your issues.

Ok thanks. Will give it a go later today/ tomorrow and report back. 

18 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Well I think this is what you meant (with my brain learning new software is a bit of a shot in the dark).  Anyway, output looks very similar to bayered output from AS2 before stacking so I guess my issue is, as already suggested, CA from my refractor/barlow/camera combi.  When I've had a chance to use the same set up on my newtonian I guess I will find out if it's the CA of the Vixen.  Still love the Vixen and, visually, never find the colour an issue.  Once again, thanks for all the help/input.

A long time ago I had a very similar issue with my 120mm evostar refractor and spc 880. Did my best in photoshop but to no great effect, but a bit more pleasing to my eyes (at a distance)?

jupiter%2005_12_2012%2022_29_10__ST1139.jpg

jupiter 05_12_2012 21_47_43.jpg

21 minutes ago, Cozzy said:

A long time ago I had a very similar issue with my 120mm evostar refractor and spc 880. Did my best in photoshop but to no great effect, but a bit more pleasing to my eyes (at a distance)?

jupiter%2005_12_2012%2022_29_10__ST1139.jpg

jupiter 05_12_2012 21_47_43.jpg

I think that's a huge improvement and a really nice image. Amazing from an 80mm f5 as well! I guess if I was any good with Photoshop I could achieve something similar but I tend to use the simpler,and far less effective, Faststone. (free!) and haven't been able to achieve anything like that.

3 hours ago, runoffshed said:

Well I think this is what you meant (with my brain learning new software is a bit of a shot in the dark).  Anyway, output looks very similar to bayered output from AS2 before stacking so I guess my issue is, as already suggested, CA from my refractor/barlow/camera combi.  When I've had a chance to use the same set up on my newtonian I guess I will find out if it's the CA of the Vixen.  Still love the Vixen and, visually, never find the colour an issue.  Once again, thanks for all the help/input.

Jup_231728_pipp.avi

Can you upload a RAW or unbayered version?

Ok, I think we have the answer and it is, as has been suggested, my refractor.  Although my newtonian wasn't cooled and the seeing was poor tonight, here is a Jupiter shot through it with the same barlow and camera and, to my eyes, the colours are pleasingly natural...even if the image is poor.  (As an aside, I have never used this telescope to image before or I wouldn't have asked the question that you have all so kindly being trying to help with.  It is so unwieldy with poor drive adjustments but I have worked out a method of getting the subject on the chip with it so may use it more in the future.)  Anyway, here is an image taken this evening, resized to 60%.  

224911611_Jup6618regi60percentresize.jpg.ee2a56425e042604297182cd9bfeffa0.jpg

Once again, thanks so much to everyone for your input and patience.  I have learnt a lot from the exchange and I am very grateful.  Many thanks all.

On 06/06/2018 at 14:25, runoffshed said:

I think that's a huge improvement and a really nice image. Amazing from an 80mm f5 as well! I guess if I was any good with Photoshop I could achieve something similar but I tend to use the simpler,and far less effective, Faststone. (free!) and haven't been able to achieve anything like that.

It was the EVOstar120mm (4.75") f8 Achromat Refractor  and 3x balow ?

21 hours ago, Cozzy said:

It was the EVOstar120mm (4.75") f8 Achromat Refractor  and 3x balow ?

Sorry, no idea where 80mm f5 came from...another post by someone else maybe? ( Very relieved to hear it wasn't just an 80mm at f5!) Thanks again for help.

Archived