Narrowband

EQ6 Rail.... Anybody got one ??

Craney

Got one yesterday. 20 minute easy work. I live at 59 degrees north. It is NO way Sky-Watcher can have tested their patent beyond 40 degrees. I have decades of experience with mechanical design and construction, and this must be the most stupid design I have ever seen.  Now the altitude adjustment is very smooth.

Tips: Forget about the heating of old covers (to soften the glue). I used a small (and sharp) flat screwdriver and a hammer and gently "chiseled" those covers off. A little "pop" and they jumps off ? To get the center hole in the clear, greased plastic disk back in position, was a bit fiddly. Fortunately I saw a tiny bit of the hole, and was able to move it in place.

I'm a total newbie when it comes to AP, but I have a friend with 40 years experience. He has recommended this product to everyone that need it. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Please, what was your polar alignment stability after the eq6 rail modification, does your mount keeps correct elevation in spite of being heavily loaded? Is it needed to have any other  modifications like substituting the three  lateral screws, tighten by 2.5 mm allen screwdrivers?

3 hours ago, Jose DmCardoso Moura said:

Please, what was your polar alignment stability after the eq6 rail modification, does your mount keeps correct elevation in spite of being heavily loaded? Is it needed to have any other  modifications like substituting the three  lateral screws, tighten by 2.5 mm allen screwdrivers?

If anything I think the polar alignment stability is about the same. Not sure about when heavily loaded as im using a skywatcher 150pds on mine. The three lateral screws I tightened the so there was no wobble but beyond that I have had no issues. 

I installed an eq6 rail kit mainly because the polar allignement doesn't stays in elevation. With the sharpcap App, which is very good for measuring PA, after an excellent adjustment the unmodified eq6 couldn't mantain it. Please tell if your eq6 rail improved this even with about the same weight  setup   I have: gso rc 8 in, atik 383l, efw, st80/400, atik320, seletek, cables, etc?

• Like 1

I can't say if it improved it but I can say it does not slip and polar alignment is fine on my setup as before. It's absolutely rock solid. The modification would in my opinion help to hold things firmer as your not holding the weight of the mount with the end of a bolt but it has a proper support. 

It's a great mod and I wouldn't be without it. I changed mine as the bolt started to bend and I couldn't turn it by hand anymore. When I dismantled it the bolts had started to damage the mount even though it's not that old. 3 years roughly. Hope that helps.

Kind regards 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jose DmCardoso Moura said:

tighten by 2.5 mm allen screwdrivers?

Did you tighten them? If not you must but only to the point where the mount doesn't wobble side to side if you try and shake it while on the tripod. It should be solid.