Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ6 Rail.... Anybody got one ??

Craney

On 09/06/2018 at 17:00, Craney said:

@mog3768 How do you Polar align ?   I use SharpCap and find it works very well for my HEQ5, but with the bigger mount (NEQ6) I found it a struggle and then discovered the bolt issue.    Heavy payloads tend to take things to the extreme and any slight imbalance, loose bolts or wobble is exposed.    

Hopefully this new design will make it as easy as on my HEQ5.

Thanks for the continuing info.  I am hovering over the purchase button.

Sean.

Try a piece of Teflon in between the mount head and the tripod  top..i have 3 in my cgem which has the same sort of issues.. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I do not see how fitting a neq6 wedge would effect your imaging as once fitted and set it  only makes it easier to adjust the mount.. It does not effect your tracking so if your mount is WELL set and polar alaigned  it will continue to do so.. I fitted one and  have not experienced any problems, but am the first to admit that I am a real amateur  at imaging and only use a DSLR.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well I bit the bullet and bought the new Rail kit and fitted today, it all went ok but I do have a question for the guys who,have already fitted one...

how tight should the main centre bolt be..I ask because when I took Mine apart it seems quite loose...so today when I re assembled I nipped it up until I thought anymore would push the cast out of shape, and then used the three grub screws to take out the slack, and it is firm but smooth to move by hand...

here is a few pictures I took, also mine is the newer slotted version so if you take the bolts out for storage the rail will stay intact, as the push bar is slotted on to the rail before it’s fitted...see the 4th image below... :)

7F95E2F4-C53B-42C3-B587-809B05FD19D6.jpeg

Side caps removedD6DD5AA4-D701-472A-866C-F46E1E1DFAC1.jpeg

Prepared ready for rail fittingFBEA90F5-D146-4B33-8996-F8BF2D2A685C.jpeg

Kit ready 6F80A318-7836-4029-9CE3-81564BC8D4AA.jpeg

showing the new slotted design, you need to fit together before fitting into mount

81305630-D6C7-4624-A3D3-B43DF6FEF696.jpeg

670105F2-BA31-46B7-9D85-F430F415F6A8.jpeg

All fitted in place

B5BBE1AA-A4FF-4F84-8568-BCCA15F481C1.jpeg

9A56F2A2-D315-4637-B336-168E9A34D650.jpeg

All ready to be bolted back together, note the metal washer on the top, and the large nylon one on the bottom...

Edited by LightBucket
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Gerry Casa Christiana said:

I have had this mod for the last 3 months. My mount is a absolute dream with this Eq6 rail. Never been so easy to do drift aligning. I got mine from modern astronomy and they are very good. Took 2 days to arrive to Italy. I would have got it from FLO if they stocked it  

Gerry

So when you fitted, how tight did you do the large centre bolt up...as it seems that if it is tight it distorts the casting...??

45 minutes ago, LightBucket said:

So when you fitted, how tight did you do the large centre bolt up...as it seems that if it is tight it distorts the casting...??

I did it fairly tight. I think it is just the balance so the disks can work freely. I also used a plastic grease for those discs. In fact I used the lithium grease too and smothered the actual Eq6 rail too. The packet they give will work but I think for longer protection it's better. Also the other thing I didn't do is take off the facia on nut side but just the bolt itself. Don't do it up mega tight I would suggest. 

Gerry

I did it fairly tight. I think it is just the balance so the disks can work freely. I also used a plastic grease for those discs. In fact I used the lithium grease too and smothered the actual Eq6 rail too. The packet they give will work but I think for longer protection it's better. Also the other thing I didn't do is take off the facia on nut side but just the bolt itself. Don't do it up mega tight I would suggest. 

Gerry

So how can you do it without taking the lock nut off the other side....I can’t see how, as you would never get it back on tight...if at all...

Gerry

Did you still have some play in the mount after tightening up the bolt, (about 1mm side to side) and then take that out with the three grub screws....as that’s what I did..but not sure if correct...

49 minutes ago, LightBucket said:

Did you still have some play in the mount after tightening up the bolt, (about 1mm side to side) and then take that out with the three grub screws....as that’s what I did..but not sure if correct...

Yes I think I was lucky with the nut :) I managed to get the bolt back into it and tightened it up. Yes I'm sure yours will be fine. The best way is to put your gear on it before the final assembly try to move it side to side then adjust until you have no play then put the sides back on. That's what I did. 

Gerry

44 minutes ago, Gerry Casa Christiana said:

Yes I think I was lucky with the nut :) I managed to get the bolt back into it and tightened it up. Yes I'm sure yours will be fine. The best way is to put your gear on it before the final assembly try to move it side to side then adjust until you have no play then put the sides back on. That's what I did. 

Gerry

You do realise that the bolt does not tighten in that nut...it tightens in the mount base itself, which is threaded...that nut is supposed to be fitted afterwards as a lock nut, as when moving the mount up and down the main bolt can work loose without that nut in place...

it would be impossible to tighten that bolt in the base as well as get that nut back on and tight, as you have said... and there is no way you could do this without removing the decal on that side.. :)

Edited by LightBucket

6 hours ago, LightBucket said:

You do realise that the bolt does not tighten in that nut...it tightens in the mount base itself, which is threaded...that nut is supposed to be fitted afterwards as a lock nut, as when moving the mount up and down the main bolt can work loose without that nut in place...

it would be impossible to tighten that bolt in the base as well as get that nut back on and tight, as you have said... and there is no way you could do this without removing the decal on that side.. :)

No I managed to fix it into the nut by laying it on its side so the bolt is threaded into the nut but maybe it's not on at all! But its working good but I can always take it off but so far it's solid :) let me know what you think of the mod. Clear skies 

Gerry 

Edited by Gerry Casa Christiana

Yikes..... I must have something similar going on as my bolt is also sliding off the bottom of the 'lug'.    I have not taken the base apart to have a good look....

My hastey fix was to attach a nyloc nut to the end of the main lattitude bolt..... it works..... but it aint subtle.  I

Yes I think it's a bit pricey too but now I've installed it I'm really glad I spent the money. Mine was chewed up like that too so I was glad to avoid any further damage. I wouldn't hesitate to get one if you have problems moving the bolt. Also I still have my original bolt which was bent and I straightened and I reinstalled it. Works great! Gerry

• Like 1

Just fitted mine.  I have a replacement bolt on my mount which does not have as much of a ball head, so getting it to sit in the hole on the sliding block was a bit of a job.   But, all installed and the movement is so much better.

Proof will be in the pudding... but i dont anticipate any problems... going by todays weather,thats not going to be anytime soon!

3 hours ago, Aidan said:

Just fitted mine.  I have a replacement bolt on my mount which does not have as much of a ball head, so getting it to sit in the hole on the sliding block was a bit of a job.   But, all installed and the movement is so much better.

Proof will be in the pudding... but i dont anticipate any problems... going by todays weather,thats not going to be anytime soon!

Yes I had a problem with that too....how did you solve...

Mine bolt was about 3mm too low for the hole, had to drill it out a bit..

If I’m honest,  to start with I just left it pushing against the barrel, reassembled and tested it.  Seemed to work all Ok, so left it at that!  I’ll see how it goes and if need be drill it out a bit so it’s a better fit.

3 hours ago, Aidan said:

If I’m honest,  to start with I just left it pushing against the barrel, reassembled and tested it.  Seemed to work all Ok, so left it at that!  I’ll see how it goes and if need be drill it out a bit so it’s a better fit.

Hmmmm, that’s how mine was, and I left it too, but while testing and under load it slipped into the hole and got jammed, and broke off the two notches on the bottom that hold it in place...now it just works like the early version of this rail before the notched version was introduced... :(

I’m wondering if it’s designed to work out of the box with the standard bolt that comes with the mount and not with others without modifications.  The bolt I have is the one with the black lever and push button to release it so you can change the handle position.

Ill keep an eye on mine, burn it seemed to work ok last night.

46 minutes ago, Aidan said:

I’m wondering if it’s designed to work out of the box with the standard bolt that comes with the mount and not with others without modifications.  The bolt I have is the one with the black lever and push button to release it so you can change the handle position.

Ill keep an eye on mine, burn it seemed to work ok last night.

Yes, that’s the same bolts I have black handle with red knob....