Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters.thumb.jpg.b518052b915c2cf31f5f12e33ce0e9d2.jpg

pluton

Milky Way binoculars,

Hello
I am lookind for a good pair of binoculars for Milky Way observations, I like bright and dark nebulae, star clusters..and I like know your experiences with some models for this ..for this purpouse which can be the best bino ?
Thanks for your information..
Regards,
Paul

I use Leica 8x42s after trying a pair handed to me in the dark by a guest. Without knowing what they were I knew that they were what I wanted! They are very expensive, though, even second hand as mine were. Something which I'd never previously thought about but greatly appreciate is the clean edge to the field stop. I don't find them less bright than my previous (more basic) 10x50s and I prefer the wider field and steadier view of 8x.

Olly

• Like 1

Olly, it´s the old Trinovid model ? BN or BA ?

I like one that let me observe wide angle Milky Way and bright and dark nebulae, with a good image contrasted ..

Paul

Picked up my 8x wide field bins from home today. Gonna try them later at hospital. I've seen Mars, Jupiter and Venus naked eye this week from there. 

• Like 1

I really like my Vixen SG 6.5x32 WP ED (9* FoV) for that sort of thing. Beautifully sharp across the FoV. Review here.

• Like 1

Thank you very much for your opinion and advice..

It seems a binocular to keep in mindhis observations, if they really have a good contrast in the image..

I am hesitating between these Vixen and the Vixen SG 2.1X42 model.., could someone compare them ?

Regards,

Paul

Hello All.

The Nikon Action EX 7x35 are quite decent instruments for scanning and star hopping They've got a 9.3° field.  Quite affordable.

Ted

• Like 1

Ted,

Yesterday I tried them and they are pretty good ..
thanks
Paul

• Like 1