Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Naraya

Would Olympus 10x50 binoculars handle weather like in Interlaken, Switzerland?

I am very new to the world of binoculars and im gonna get started with Olympus 10x50 binoculars. My question is that will the Olympus binoculars handle weather in Switzerland (humidity above 80%), (high altitude), (cold temperatures)?  It would be really helpfull if i get the answer to that question.

No they are not nitrogen or any gas purged.
Unless you intend to get them very wet, I see no issues at all, unless used in the rain.

To the OP, I own a pair of these, wonderful for the cost, very nice indeed.
The cold does not have an effect on my set.
The humidity at 80% plus has not had any bearing on my set either, it has to the seeing though.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Corpze
      Hi, I have recently bought and mounted a third version of a weather monitoring station, this time a non DIY product - The Lunatico AAG Cloudwatcher and the Solo computer with it.

I have been running a weather monitor for five years now, but because i lack front-end coding (or hasn't taken the time learning it) I have been looking for a out-of-the-box product which presents the data in a nice way.
      The difference between this product and the two other models I have made earlier is the raspberry pi and the webserver capability. 

The earlier versions hade the capability to output a "safe" or "not safe" command to my sequence program.
       This version from lunatico has the capability to output a folder in my network with a boltwood textfile, or direct via ASCOM.

So far, i have been running this for two weeks now and it is working very nice. The data is presented on a webpage very nice and it has 100% uptime as of now.
      Just one time, the cloud temperature has been presented wrong, this happend during a weather change from +2 degrees celsius and overcast to about -10 degree celsius with clear sky in a matter in a couple of hours.

please feel free to comment and ask questions

/Daniel

• By Zermelo
      I had a finely balanced decision to make yesterday about whether to stay up and attempt a post-midnight astro dark session, factors including:
      - BBC/Met Office forecast was "clear all night"
      - BBC/Met Office forecasts have been woefully innaccurate, both day and night
      - Clearoutside was forecasting clear early evening, but later on it had "0% low cloud" and "75% high cloud" cover
      - Lack of moon
      - My other half is somewhat keen, but I didn't want to keep her up that long for a potential damp squib
      - It's very late, and not dark for that long
      - There look to be one, perhaps two more clear nights forecast in the coming week
      - I have a new eyepiece and filter arriving soon 😀
      I decided not to wait up, and instead charged my batteries for a possible session this coming week. I see in the observing reports this morning that at least some UK people did have clear skies, so I am a bit regretful. I've only started observing in the last couple of months, so I may have been spoiled by the number of good evenings we have been having? Looking back at some of the older comments, I see people wishing they'd never bought their scopes, after fifty or sixty days without sight of a star!
      Anyway, to my question. Was I unwise to be put off by the Clearoutside prediction of "75% high cloud"? I mean, leaving aside the obvious possibility that they might be wrong anyway, Is there any difference in the effect on observation between low, medium and high cloud? Would you take one more seriously than another? I noticed that the "visibility" line was still saying 10 miles (the highest it ever seems to say) even when cloud cover was 75%. Is that significant?
      Tonight is looking very similar!
    • By thehappypleiades
      Hi, newbie here! I’m hoping to get some advice on some star-gazing binoculars. I’ve read through the forum and I’ve decided to stay away from zoom bino’s because I’m just starting out, and I will eventually look into telescopes and whatnot if I wish to see the skies in more detail! 

So I’ve pretty much settled on something between 8 x 42 and 10 x 50. Please let me know the best ones in this range!!! 
      I’ve read some reviews on the Helios Lightquest HR 10x50’s so any advice on those would be great too! I’m open to suggestions but what I’m really hoping to get is a sturdy pair of first binoculars that I can keep around for the long run, and hopefully drag around on many adventures. I’m willing to invest in a tripod as well for focused gazing, although I plant to keep them around my neck for a while so I can get used to them! 

I’m also unsure of how to find a great lightweight tripod so any links would be great! Love the forum so far and I’m excited to start observing the skies!

Happy Stargazing,
      thehappypleiades
    • By Tomjo59
      Exceptionally clear here in south Wiltshire last night.
      Grabbed a met office map for midnight.
      I believe this situation, between two anticyclones and two low pressure areas is called a ‘col’.
      I don’t know if this is generally regarded as favourable for good observing conditions?
    • By DavidJM
      So it now seems an eternity since a decent period of good viewing weather here in Newquay, has anyone else had better luck? ?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.