SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Imaging Challenge #15 - Milky Way

There are some changes to the Imaging Challenge this month, we have adjusted the prizes as we don't want people to take these challenge too seriously, they are a bit of fun after all :) We are also trying a new way to keep track of entries using a gallery instead - details below...

--------------------------------------------------

The theme for the fifteenth challenge - June 2018 - is The Milky Way!

Start Date: 1st June 2018
End Date: 31st August 2018

Rules: The theme this time is The Milky Way. We are looking for images, videos or animations that capture the Milky Way and we will be particularly looking out for unusual compositions or interesting presentations :)

Prize: A personalised mug for 1st, 2nd and 3rd places featuring your image kindly provided by our sponsors FLO :) and a virtual trophy for your signature.

--

RULES

All data must be captured and processed by you (no collaborative entries). 
Data must be captured during the challenge start & end dates. 
Multiple entries are allowed but please start a new topic for each entry. 
Multiple submissions of the same image, processed differently, will not be accepted.

--

To enter please add your image to the Imaging Challenge #15 Gallery (each challenge will have it’s own). Please post as much information as possible - when it was taken, how it was captured and processed, etc. The info won't necessarily be used for judging but will help fellow SGLers looking to learn and improve their knowledge and technique.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does this discount objects like M8 or the Sagittarius star cloud, which are in the middle of the milky way but also stand-alone objects? Does this cover the core only or are regions slightly further-afield also allowed (i.e. cygnus "upwards")?

Personally I would try and avoid something that strays too far into the grey area, but strongly defined limits would be appreciated. Especially since every object in the sky besides other galaxies is technically a "milky-way" shot.

On 09/06/2018 at 19:23, pipnina said:

Does this discount objects like M8 or the Sagittarius star cloud, which are in the middle of the milky way but also stand-alone objects? Does this cover the core only or are regions slightly further-afield also allowed (i.e. cygnus "upwards")?

Personally I would try and avoid something that strays too far into the grey area, but strongly defined limits would be appreciated. Especially since every object in the sky besides other galaxies is technically a "milky-way" shot.

My reading of the challenge is that it's nice and open, flexible and easy going. As Grant implied above, capturing all of it might be tricky!

Olly

3 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

My reading of the challenge is that it's nice and open, flexible and easy going. As Grant implied above, capturing all of it might be tricky!

Olly

Well they do stress that the challenge is intended to be for fun, I was just being a bit pedantic. I'm just hoping that I'll get enough clear nights (or even astro darkness which doesn't return for me until mid-late july) to be able to participate at all!

2 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Glad it wasn’t taken from the seventh planet 

Have you ever noticed that the seventh planet is virtually ignored in public spaces? When was the last time it got a mention on TV?! Aww... poor little planet. It's the butt of many a joke! :D

• 3 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Gina said:

All Sky Camera image just before sunrise this morning.

Light_087.thumb.png.d28a0dea3780ecad7b5222b461060f40.png

Gina, I love all sky shots ?  Can you upload this to the gallery for the challenge  ?

Helen

• 5 weeks later...
On 04/06/2018 at 12:03, admin said:

To enter please add your image to the Imaging Challenge #15 Gallery (each challenge will have it’s own). Please post as much information as possible - when it was taken, how it was captured and processed, etc. The info won't necessarily be used for judging but will help fellow SGLers looking to learn and improve their knowledge and technique.

Hi Mariusz, you need to post your image in the gallery.

I tried to capture some data for this challenge about a week ago, but 28 minutes into the 2 hour capture session the lens started to condensate and got dripping wet in only 10 minutes ?

Doesn't help that my 18-55mm can only be reasonably used at f8 (so 2h at 55mm is worth the same as 30 mins on the 105mm @ f4). Maybe i'll get to try again soon...

59 minutes ago, pipnina said:

I tried to capture some data for this challenge about a week ago, but 28 minutes into the 2 hour capture session the lens started to condensate and got dripping wet in only 10 minutes ?

Doesn't help that my 18-55mm can only be reasonably used at f8 (so 2h at 55mm is worth the same as 30 mins on the 105mm @ f4). Maybe i'll get to try again soon...

Have you got a dew heat strap that you can wrap around the lens? ,..... helps heaps.

7 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

Have you got a dew heat strap that you can wrap around the lens? ,..... helps heaps.

I do, and I could have tried to use it for the 18-55mm, but it has a very sensitive focus wheel that the strap would have to sit over (and even when it is locked, it still wiggles enough to make the difference between 3 pixel stars and 15 pixel stars).

The strap works wonders when I am using the 105mm however, as the focus ring is quite stiff and of good quality generally. I might be able to find a solution at some point, but it really does complicate things.

I suppose while I'm here, I might as well share the image:

clean-27_5m.thumb.jpg.064506c8cae1accc34fc3e0757731e2c.jpg

It's a bit purple, but that's mostly because I centered the colour balance to try and keep the milky way itself a neutral tone. "North american" nebula and some nebulosity around sadr are visible, maybe even some hints of the veil at the bottom. One of the biggest issues however is the amp glow, which is the source of a large amount of the purple in the image. Using an uncooled DSLR means I will have to experiment if I want to try and get rid of that though...

As always, you win some, you lose some!

21 minutes ago, pipnina said:

I do, and I could have tried to use it for the 18-55mm, but it has a very sensitive focus wheel that the strap would have to sit over (and even when it is locked, it still wiggles enough to make the difference between 3 pixel stars and 15 pixel stars).

The strap works wonders when I am using the 105mm however, as the focus ring is quite stiff and of good quality generally. I might be able to find a solution at some point, but it really does complicate things.

I suppose while I'm here, I might as well share the image:

clean-27_5m.thumb.jpg.064506c8cae1accc34fc3e0757731e2c.jpg

It's a bit purple, but that's mostly because I centered the colour balance to try and keep the milky way itself a neutral tone. "North american" nebula and some nebulosity around sadr are visible, maybe even some hints of the veil at the bottom. One of the biggest issues however is the amp glow, which is the source of a large amount of the purple in the image. Using an uncooled DSLR means I will have to experiment if I want to try and get rid of that though...

As always, you win some, you lose some!

I had a similar dilemma with my 50mm prime.... namely adding the dew strap caused the focus to be slightly shifted.. so I adjusted focus with the strap on quite tightly. It had a double benefit or being in focus but the tight strap keeping it in focus.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived