sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_31.thumb.jpg.b7a41d6a0fa4e315f57ea3e240acf140.jpg

Hi guys

I thought the DSO season was well and truly over for me, but the weather's been unusually clear here in N.I for the last while that i just couldn't help myself ?

So even though there is no astro dark at this time of year up here at 54 degrees N, i decided i wouldn't let that stop me try for one last target. There was also a very big bright moon up as well, so i figured M13 was pretty much the only viable target for me. Of course, with just a wee SW 80ED to work with (at 510mm FL) i knew i didn't really have the FL to do this one justice, but having never shot a Globular Cluster before i was still excited to give it a go. So here it is:

Shot on May 24 from Crumlin, N.Ireland

20 * 420s with the IDAS-D1 at  ISO 200

10 * 60s with the IDAS-D1 at  ISO 200

All frames dithered aggressively every frame

Usual gear, Nikon D5300 on a HEQ5-Pro, guided with a QHY5 and PHD2, and captured with SGP. 

AstroPixelProcessor used for stacking, gradient reduction, and star colour calibration. Everything else done in Photoshop. The 60s subs were used just for the core. 

I'm kind of pleased with how it came out. Although i'm not completely sure tbh, as this is new ground for me, and if there's one area the wee 80ED does struggle a tad with it's with stars, and with a globular there's certainly nowhere to hide on that front!

Also attached is a 100% crop showing just the globular cluster itself. 

C&C most welcome as always. 

Cheers guys!

M13 v2.jpg

M13 v2 (Close-Up).jpg

• Like 21

Thanks guys.

I noticed that the Jpeg version that i uploaded seems to have some large red blotches throughout the background. Much bigger than the usual colour blotching that you often see with DSLR's. As it only shows up in the Jpeg version, i can only guess that perhaps i removed too much colour noise from the background (i did go a bit OTT if i'm being honest) and when it gets saved to Jpeg then maybe there's not enough information left over for the conversion? Just a guess.

So I had another go at improving the background, hopefully this one looks better. To my eyes at least it does  seem like the weird colour cast to the background is gone. Would be good to hear what you guys think. I also raised the background level more in this most recent version, as in hindsight i think i dropped the black point a bit too much. The outer regions of the globular cluster are also more prominent now too. 

M13 v4.jpg

Edited by Xiga
  • Like 4

There's a lot to like with this image. There is strong color in the foreground stars and in the globular as well. There's a wee little galaxy at around 19.30 from the glob. Very nice!

Edited by Ags
  • Like 1
On ‎05‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 06:05, bluedandelion said:

Nicely done!

Ajay

Thanks you Ajay

On ‎05‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 07:08, Ags said:

There's a lot to like with this image. There is strong color in the foreground stars and in the globular as well. There's a wee little galaxy at around 19.30 from the glob. Very nice!

Thanks for pointing this out Ags! I had totally missed that wee tiny galaxy as it is only visible at close quarters. Cheers!

23 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Super. Excellent separation of star colours.

Olly

Thanks Olly.

10 hours ago, orion25 said:

You brilliantly captured one of my favorite globulars! Great color and resolution. Like a stellar soup, lol!

Reggie

Thanks Reggie. It's one of my favourite too. With no Omega Centauri for us Northerners, M13 isn't a bad alternative ?

After reviewing a few other images of Globular Clusters, i realised that the framing of such objects is much more aesthetically pleasing when set off-centre. So i applied a final crop, and seeing as i was already in PS i decided to clean up the noise a tad more too. I think it has helped. Think being the operative word!

M13 v5.jpg

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Xiga said:

i realised that the framing of such objects is much more aesthetically pleasing when set off-centre

Hi Ciarán,

I guess each person has their own preferences, but for me the offset doesn't work as well - maybe put it down to my OCD, but I keep wanting to drag it back to the center of frame. Sorry...?

Geof

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By wsteel33
      Finally built a peltier cooler for the canon 600D. Credit goes to Martin Pyott for the originl design:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVrTpCn1MhA&list=WL&index=1
      I had to modify the design slightly due to the aluminium plate snapping and a comedy of errors on my part, such as not being patient enough in drilling the copper plate and snapping a drill bit in the hole.... all learning experiences.
      I was going to invest in a dedicated OSC astro camera but this will allow me to get a bit more milage out the old faithful DSLR. I have attached photos of the finished project and Darks (10 min at ISO 1600) and was impressed and surprised at the difference this mod made in noise levels. The cooler managed to drop 7 degC on ambient after running for about 15 min or so. I don't know how cold it will get when running for longer, and know it wont be able to compete with a dedicated astrocam, but any cooling is a bonus, right? At about £35 for the parts this saved me a fortune which will go into the dedicated TEC cooled mono camera fund.
      Next on the DIY list are a power box (with power for the mount, camera, dew heaters and RPi: I have already made my own 12v power distribution box which sits on my EXOS2 "portable" mount) and a couple of auto focusers using the MyfocuserPro2 project on sourceforge (the parts are winging their way to me as I sit here). The savings bring that dedicated mono camera all the closer 😀.
      Any advice from anyone who has made these projects very welcome (maybe it will help me avoid more silly errors) or ideas for other projects too.
      Clear skies 💫

D_0003_ISO1600_600s__20C.CR2 D_0001_ISO1600_600s__13C.CR2
    • By MarsG76
      This is NGC3603 and NGC3576 (AKA The "Statue of Liberty" nebula), a massive H-Alpha region containing a very compact open cluster, located in the constellation "Carina" about 20,000LY away.
      I took this photo during two nights, 14th and 15th March 2021. Imaged using a active cooled and full spectrum modded Canon 40D DSLR attached to a 80mm f6.25 refractor on a CGEM equatorial mount.
      Total exposure time was 3 Hours and 31 minutes in natural color through UV/IR Cut filtered subs from a semi rural sky.
      RGB: 19x60s, 19x120s, 18x180s and 20x300s subs @ ISO1600.
    • By micovn
      This is a lens that does not need an introduction, it's simply a fantastic budget lens! I've been using it for astrophotography with great results and satisfaction (see pictures). Just selling it becuase I'm upgrading to the 135mm version. Any questions please ask. Asking £160 which includes P&P to UK mainland.

• By MarsG76
      This is NGC3603 and NGC3576 (AKA The "Statue of Liberty" nebula), a massive H-Alpha region containing a very compact open cluster, located in the constellation "Carina" about 20,000LY away.
      I took this photo on multiple nights, between 19th February and 15th March 2021.
      Imaged using my cooled and full spectrum modded Canon 40D DSLR attached to a Bosma 80mm f6.25 refractor on a CGEM equatorial mount.
      Total exposure time was 22 Hours and 1 minute using 7nm HII, OIII and SII Narrowband filters and stars are from natural color (UV/IR Cut filter) subs... imaged from a semi rural sky.
      HII: 6x600s, 6x900s and 4x1200s subs,
      OIII: 10x900s, 8x1200s and 1x1800s subs
      SII: 18x1800s subs
      RGB: 19x60s, 19x120s, 18x180s and 20x300s subs @ ISO1600.

• By endless-sky
      After a 20 year long hiatus - my last astrophoto was captured with a film camera in 1997 - at the beginning of 2020 I decided it was time to start again.
      So, January 25th 2020 I brought home my used Sky-Watcher NEQ6 Pro and I immediately started taking photos. Obviously, my first target was M42 in Orion.
      This was my first digital astrophotography. 31 subframes, 30s each, taken at ISO800 with my unmodified Nikon D90, Nikkor 70-300mm at 300mm f/6.3 - January 28th, 2020, home front yard, Bortle 5/6 sky, no guiding, no filters. A grand total of 15.5 minutes...

A couple of weeks later, me and my wife went to spend Valentine's weekend in the mountains. Of course I couldn't avoid taking advantage of the Bortle 4 sky and I took all my gear with me. Same target, 52 subframes, 45s each, taken at ISO800 with my unmodified Nikon D90, Nikkor 70-300mm at 300m f/5.6 - February 14th, 2020, Tonadico, Bortle 4 sky, no guiding, no filters. 39 minutes total integration.

After I finished post-processing the second photograph, I was so happy with the result. It felt amazing that I was able to capture so many details and more nebulosity compared to the photo taken from home.
      Months passed, gear was changed. First one being the camera: at the end of February I bought a Nikon D5300 and a couple of months later I astromodified it on my own, adding a UV/IR cut filter in front of the sensor, after cutting it to size.
      In October the rest of the setup finally arrived: Tecnosky 80/480 APO FPL53 Triplet OWL Series imaging telescope, Artesky UltraGuide 60mm f/4 guide scope and ZWO ASI 224MC guide camera. Also, an Optolong L-Pro 2" light pollution filter.
      After months of imaging and getting more experienced with PixInsight, it was just a matter of waiting before I could have another go at one of my favorite targets. And maybe give it a little more justice.
      This project took me more than a month, due to the rare clear nights opportunities I have had here lately.
      I started acquiring in January and finished a couple of weeks ago.
      M42 taken over 8 nights, under my Bortle 5/6 sky.
      Total integration time: 18h 04m 00s for the nebula. 714s (14s subs) + 2065s (35s subs) for the Trapezium and the core.
      Here are the acquisition details:
      Mount: Sky-Watcher NEQ6 Pro
      Telescope: Tecnosky 80/480 APO FPL53 Triplet OWL Series
      Camera: D5300 astromodified
      Reducer/flattener: Tecnosky 4 elements, 0.8x
      Guide-scope: Artesky UltraGuide 60mm f/4
      Guide-camera: ZWO ASI 224MC
      2021/01/12: Number of subs/Exposure time: 33@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, no Moon
      2021/01/13: Number of subs/Exposure time: 33@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, no Moon
      2021/01/15: Number of subs/Exposure time: 38@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, Moon 8% illuminated
      2021/01/18: Number of subs/Exposure time: 36@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, Moon 30% illuminated
      2021/02/13: Number of subs/Exposure time: 30@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, Moon 4% illuminated
      2021/02/14: Number of subs/Exposure time: 23@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, Moon 9% illuminated
      2021/02/15: Number of subs/Exposure time: 51@14s + 48@35s. Notes: L-Pro filter, Moon 15% illuminated
      2021/02/17: Number of subs/Exposure time: 11@35s + 38@180s + 1@300s. Notes: L-Pro filter, Moon 30% illuminated
      Total exposure time (main integration): 65040s = 18h 04m 00s.
      Total exposure time (35s integration): 2065s.
      Total exposure time (14s integration): 714s.
      Pre and post-processing: PixInsight 1.8.8-7.
      Full HDR Version:

Masked Stretch Version:

Blended Version (50% HDR + 50% Masked Stretch):

To my personal taste, I like the blended version the most. I think it brings out the best of both worlds (HDR and soft, less contrasty but more colorful look).
      I must say, I am very pleased and happy with the result. Not to boast, but I think I have come a long way since I started.
      Obviously the better gear and the much, much longer integration time helped.
      I think I actually spent more time post-processing it than acquiring it. Especially since I had to do the work almost twice: I post-processed the HDR and the Masked Stretch images separately, making sure I used the same processes and with the same strenght in both, so that I could combine them effectively, if I decided I didn’t like the look of the HDR alone. I also think I managed to tame the stars a lot more, compared to my previous post-processing attempts.
      As usual, here’s a link to the full resolution image(s): Orion Nebula (M42), De Mairan’s Nebula (M43) and Running Man (NGC 1977)
      Thanks for looking!
      C&C welcome!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.