SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sagittarius from Rhodes

I’m currently enjoying a family holiday in Rhodes. I couldn’t figure a way to get the 10” dob in my luggage so I had to content myself with just bringing my 10x50 binoculars. Being further south from good old England, I wanted to see how much further down into Sagittarius I could get. I’ve never seen M6 or M7. The area around my hotel has quite a bit of LP but the skies have been clear every night but one. Tonight was the first night where the moon didn’t rise until late enough for me to have a good go at Sagittarius. 

With Antares higher in the sky than I’ve ever seen it before, I started there. No sign of M4 but I did manage to see M80. For all the Sagittarius observations, I started at Saturn and star hopped from there. The Sagittarius Star Cloud, M24, made for a nice easy first target. With the 6 degree FOV, you can really appreciate how large this cluster is. I could also fit the Omega nebula and it’s cluster into the same FOV and moving up, the Eagle Nebula could be seen too. Both of these presenting as hazy areas within the sky. I’m sure darker skies would have given a bit more detail. 

I briefly left Sagittarius to find M11, the Wild Ducks cluster. Again, a fairly small hazy patch but feeling like so much more with surrounding star field adding to the view. Back to Saturn as my reference point for finding M25. I felt like I could resolve a bit more of this cluster. Perhaps a sign of my eyes adapting to the dark. M22 came next. The large glob really impressed. It’s size was obvious and stood out clearly. 

The Lagood Nebula, M8, was one of my favourite targets last summer. Even in the binoculars, I felt that the nebulosity was clear to see with several bright stars from the cluster embedded within it. In the same FOV was NGC6514, home of the Trifid nebula, and M21. 

It was now time to find the open clusters that eluded me last summer. Saturn to M8, down to an asterism of stars like a pointer  and finally down to M7! It’s a large cluster! Bigger than I was expecting. I could resolve a lot of stars within it. Moving up I could also see M6, which was much smaller. I could resolve a fair few stars within this too. I wrapped up my time in Sagittarius with the glob, M28. A harder spot than M22 or even M80. I also tried for some of the lower globs in Sagittarius but without success. 

The session ended on Jupiter. I could see at least two of the moons, nicely framed with a bright pair of stars, Zubenelgenubi and Zubenelgenubi, beneath it. Not having the option of a telescope really focused my attention to getting the most out of the binoculars. A lovely way to pass an evening under the Greek skies!

Great stuff. One of my favourite occupations, observing the southern treasures whilst on holiday, either abroad or in the south of the U.K.

You caught some great targets there, nice to have the binos with you, just need to find a way of smuggling in a small scope next time :) 

Thanks for the report, it brought back some nice memories

Great stuff ? 

I flew back from Rhodes early hours of this morning, but been at a conference so no chance to get out during the week.  Did have a bit of time for exploring yesterday before my flight, and found the Astronomy cafe ? on the outskirts of Faliraki.  Unfortunatelyhttps://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g635612-d4889399-Reviews-Astronomy_Cafe-Faliraki_Rhodes_Dodecanese_South_Aegean.html

Sadly I had to leave before the observing started at 9pm.  Had a great chat to the owner though about his equipment, outreach etc.  Good to hear it attracts lots of people during main  summer season.  Well worth a visit!

Helen

7 hours ago, Helen said:

Great stuff ? 

I flew back from Rhodes early hours of this morning, but been at a conference so no chance to get out during the week.  Did have a bit of time for exploring yesterday before my flight, and found the Astronomy cafe ? on the outskirts of Faliraki.  Unfortunatelyhttps://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g635612-d4889399-Reviews-Astronomy_Cafe-Faliraki_Rhodes_Dodecanese_South_Aegean.html

Sadly I had to leave before the observing started at 9pm.  Had a great chat to the owner though about his equipment, outreach etc.  Good to hear it attracts lots of people during main  summer season.  Well worth a visit!

Helen

No way. It’s only a couple of miles from where I am! Thanks Helen!

7 hours ago, Stu said:

Great stuff. One of my favourite occupations, observing the southern treasures whilst on holiday, either abroad or in the south of the U.K.

You caught some great targets there, nice to have the binos with you, just need to find a way of smuggling in a small scope next time :) 

Thanks for the report, it brought back some nice memories

Thanks Stu. Glad it brought back some memories :) I may well have to invest in a nice little travel scope before any future trips abroad!

Archived