Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Saturn Opposes Sun - June 26-27

CentaurZ

Ringed Saturn currently rises during the evening as it approaches its opposition from the Sun during the night of 2018 JUN 26-27, when it will be out all night.

The ring tilt reached a maximum last year, but it isn't much less this year. Saturn's brilliance will peak around the time of opposition at magnitude +0.0. That will be enhanced by the oppositional flash, which is especially pronounced for Saturn due to shadows of ring particles being hidden from view.

Photos and descriptions of Saturn and its rings would be welcome additions to this thread.

Saturn-B.thumb.JPG.fcea082919263df9b741c8e272573c1c.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/06/2018 at 16:11, Eastman said:

A good view on the ring for the first couple of years to come, thanks for sharing.

You're welcome. Saturn's brightness will come to a sharp peak at the time of opposition, rather than the more gentle curve for other planets. Saturn's "oppositional flash" is enhanced by the shadows of ring particles becoming temporarily obscured.

Saturn-Mag.thumb.JPG.3d34bb11d31ea0b13be9d42361979d0c.JPG

I've just been out for a second look at Saturn with my 127mm Skymax and I'm very pleased. I could easily see Saturn, the rings, even Titan crept in. Only problem was the colour looked washed out and it was a little fuzzy but looking over houses, it's only at about 10 degrees and this early in the night with bad seeing I guess I shouldn't ask for to much, unfortunately I can only see it for about 20 mins before it disappears behind Trees/Houses. All in all pleased with what I managed.

Archived