Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

optimal tripod for dslr astrophoto??

I know that is better when max load is bigger, but i am wondwring-what would be optimal tripod max load for dlsr with zoom lens (dslr sony nex-about 500gr, lens 100-300mm fd canon-about 800gr, ball head about 300gr) and 400-500gr nanotracker, so load is about 2kg)... i have cullman photo tripod which has 3.5kg max load...is that enough or this will be [removed word] with many bad images?? what do you prefere? (very low budget)

I would look for a 2nd hand manfrotto tripod, probably from ebay. I paid about £50 for a set of 055 legs with an old pan and tilt head, the legs have 9Kg capacity. I have since added a 2nd hand video head for normal photography, all in around £100, new updated version would be over £500.

My manfrotto 055 (the 9kg carry weight version, possibly the same model as JonC's) has done very well. It's heavier than most photographic tripods but it will still wobble a tad on soft ground. Bets for use on concrete, stone, tarmac etc.

Hi @mislav. I have a Manfrotto 055PRO in black with a Manfrotto 234 tilt head, a Kood ballhead for my cameras and a Konig joystick/pistol grip/trigger/ball head for my binoculars, and occasionally a camera.

The tripod choice will depend how high you want to extend it, I am using a very cheap Zomei most days rated at about 8Kgs and its fine when used low down which is how I prefer to mount any astro gear (one foot to 18 inches max height).

Alan

9 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

The tripod choice will depend how high you want to extend it, I am using a very cheap Zomei most days rated at about 8Kgs and its fine when used low down which is how I prefer to mount any astro gear (one foot to 18 inches max height).

Alan

I usually put it as high as is needed for me to keep an intact neck bone while using the polar scope. I should probably consider a right-angle mod.

1 minute ago, pipnina said:

I usually put it as high as is needed for me to keep an intact neck bone while using the polar scope. I should probably consider a right-angle mod.

I use a RA camera finder just held in place and my DSLR has a flippy screen and WiFi viewing so no need for me to go high.

Alan

2 minutes ago, mislav said:

it can be low down..doesnt imortant...so?wen it its low down if it says 3.5kg max, lower cuold be more?so 2kg wouldnt be to much, and wouldt be many bad photos?

Changing the height doesn't effect the max load capacity but does make the tripod more stable against wind or vibrations. I would think that you should try what you have first but look at a tripod with a capacity of 8-12Kg in the future.

Alan

19 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

8-12Kg

That sounds like a good plan to me. My dad's lower-rated manfrotto (5kg) was adequate for the star adventurer and a 105mm but the 9kg was a notable improvement.

I've only got a couple of cheap tripods.  Once was from PC World, really cheap one.   The other is 20 years old, and about the same quality.

Frankly, they're good enough was what I do.  For widefield astro photos, they both hold my DSLR without any problems.

why two tripods?  becaues I have a Digislider that I use occasionally, so two tripods allows me to set it at a comfortable working height, also gives me more control over things :)

I heavier/more sturdy tripod would help, but frankly, I've not noticed my Velbon DF-41 being that bad.  OK, the head is rubbish, it does the job though.. just.

1 hour ago, cjdawson said:

I've not noticed my Velbon DF-41 being that bad.  OK, the head is rubbish, it does the job though.. just.

I used a Velbon DF-40 (perhaps the model earlier or lower than yours) and it definitely did the job for my DSLR and 18-55mm. By the time I had the 105mm f2.8 on it though it became too unstable for my liking.

The head was rubbish on mine as well, I put the star adventurer on it and it drooped and bounced around ?

3 hours ago, pipnina said:

I used a Velbon DF-40 (perhaps the model earlier or lower than yours) and it definitely did the job for my DSLR and 18-55mm. By the time I had the 105mm f2.8 on it though it became too unstable for my liking.

The head was rubbish on mine as well, I put the star adventurer on it and it drooped and bounced around ?

I'd never even try putting anything more fancy on my tripods.   I'm tempted to buy better tripods, but simply can't justify the cost.  The cheapies work well enough.  That said, I'd not consider putting even a barn door tracker on my tripods, let alone a Star Adventurer.

I'm with Alan on the Zomeii, I use one all the time.

However, you did say 'Ultimate'!

The tripod will carry more than 20kg.

The head is happy with 11+kg

My bank balance was also +- happy on a good S/H deal.

However, getting this rig out at a public site, still causes a certain 'shyness'.

It is a "JOY" to use. :)

See this,

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/309691-manfrotto-546gb-501hdv/

Best, Rich

Archived