SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What to look for in an observatory site?

Swoop1

Last year, at my Societies AGM I raised the possibiltiy of building our own obsevatory.

According to the minutes, I offered to do a feasabiltiy study of getting a site to put one! News to me but there you go......

Our 2018 AGM is looming and I have offered to actually do the study- approach colleges, schools, airodromes etc. to see if someone would allow the society to set up an obsy and warm room.

What should I be considering in my search for the right place? I am looking for giudance beyond the likes of good horizons, dark skies etc. What I would be grateful for are the out of the box considerations- the things that make you go "Doh! I should have thought of that before!"

Thanks all,

Swoop 1, Mad Observatory Seeker In Chief.

Any potential for ingress of stray light from anywhere? Perhaps some form of street light or floodlights from a shopping centre / sports centre etc that may not be on all of the time? Anything on the horizon (sorry for the pun!!) from the council with regards to planning permissions for anything that could cause you issues?

A good southern view. Why? Because everything in the northern half of the sky becomes visible at some time of the year or night. Whereas objects in the southern half are visible less often.

Also look for car parking space with level access to the observing site. Don't forget to take into account accessibility concerns for the range of physical abilities that your club caters for.

Ask about things like the need for a risk assessment, insurance - for equipment and public liability, necessary H&S signage, restrictions on what materials your constructions could be made from, conservation area issues, maximum occupancy (number of people using the site), electrical and fire safety.

Archived