Jump to content

Banner.jpg.39bf5bb2e6bf87794d3e2a4b88f26f1b.jpg

Sky-Watcher Dual Speed Focusser Fitting Problem


Recommended Posts

4 years after buying a Sky-Watcher dual speed Crayford focusser, I decided to fit it to my Evostar refractor tonight.

I got a bit of a shock when the new focusser would not fit inside the Evostar white collar.

I ended up sanding the white paint away from the inside of the collar with some wet & dry sand paper.

It now fits like a glove but is this normal to have to do this?

Edited by PaulG
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PaulG said:

4 years after buying a Sky-Watcher dual speed Crayford focusser, I decided to fit it to my Evostar refractor tonight.

I got a bit of a shock when the new focusser would not fit inside the Evostar white collar.

I ended up sanding the white paint away from the inside of the collar with some wet & dry sand paper.

It now fits like a glove but is this normal to have to do this?

I've swapped focusers on lots of SW refractors and this is perfectly normal. I've even bashed one in with a rubber mallet to make it fit and then removed it by dripping WD40 down the join between the collar and the focuser.

The stock SW (Synta) bits are more than likely made by multiple suppliers at the cheapest cost to a rather wide tolerance so it's not unsurprising that this happens. The upside is that we can buy very good optics reasonably cheaply :wink: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oddy enough have fitted a couple of Skywatcher crayfords to Orion equivalents to the Evostar / Startravel refractors and not had to sand anything. Fit was just right. But then the Orions are more expensive but seem to be that bit better finished. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, DRT said:

I've swapped focusers on lots of SW refractors and this is perfectly normal. I've even bashed one in with a rubber mallet to make it fit and then removed it by dripping WD40 down the join between the collar and the focuser.

The stock SW (Synta) bits are more than likely made by multiple suppliers at the cheapest cost to a rather wide tolerance so it's not unsurprising that this happens. The upside is that we can buy very good optics reasonably cheaply :wink: 

Bashed one in, crikey me and I was worried about using a firm push lol.

Cant wait to heave the 150mm Evostar back on to the mount again soon.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, johninderby said:

Oddy enough have fitted a couple of Skywatcher crayfords to Orion equivalents to the Evostar / Startravel refractors and not had to sand anything. Fit was just right. But then the Orions are more expensive but seem to be that bit better finished. 

I guess quality speaks for itself John but unfortunately my pockets aren't very deep.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

    • By haydencoffin
      (also posted in a reply thread elsewhere) Hello there! I'm a newbie to this forum so I apologise if my question has been answered already elsewhere. I've been using a TAL200K for about 15 years but getting fed up with the rack and pinion focuser so i treated myself to beautifully made in Germany 2" thread adaptor plate and a generic 10:1 SGT crayford focuser ( these are branded Skywatcher, Lacerta, OVL but I think they are all the same. ) turns out this is much longer than the original TAL and only near terrestrial objects can be bought into focus. Unless there's an easy fix i'm sending the focuser back for a refund, soooo, is there a low profile crayford or other smooth action focuser that will fit the 50.8mm threaded plate which has a similar low profile to the original TAL ? best wishes.
    • By hooloovoo
      Hi, I'm just getting started with astrophotography and have been gathering the equipment. I've purchased the Star Watcher Evostar 72 APO Refractor Telescope and I've been researching all over the place for what flattener I should purchase. I'm wondering if there's a rule on how to pick one, does it have to be a certain size, brand, type, etc? Or does just any typical flattener work?... I see a wide range of prices and Its a little unclear to me what exactly I'm looking for since some flatteners look different than others. Im planning to connect this to a Nikon D7500 and I already have the M48 T mount but I don't know if thats relevant or only for certain flatteners as well. Basically any advice on how an amateur should set up and what all I need to get going. Thanks in advance for any help and recommendations. 
    • By Soulitude
      Hi everyone I am new here, I live in Perth Western Australia (bottle class 5) and have just brought my new set up. There hasn’t been anyone in the area I can talk to about astrophotography so tried to do it all myself online and I fear I may have incorrectly purchased some things. (I tried to get things one at a time for budget purposes)
      I have this set up
      heq5, evostar ed80, .85reducer & corrector, evoguide 50ed, zwo 120mm mini for guiding and just my canon 200d mkii for the imaging. 
      The telescope, I think I may have brought something that’s not great for imaging and that’s all I’ve wanted to do. 
      can you please provide a better telescope alternative that would be suitable for all my other gear without having to buy like a new mount etc. I’m thinking just a slightly better scope not too heavy, opinions would be much appreciated 💖💖💖 xx
    • By Gwil
      Hi Everyone,
      I've just bought a Skywatcher Evostar 72ed but can't get hold of the sky-watcher .85x reducer/flattener or the OVL versions in these current times.
      Can anyone suggest any alternatives to the above?
      Many thanks 
      John (UK)
       
    • By deanchapman2705
      Hi,
      I'm relatively new to the whole telescope thing but have done my research and was fixed on getting the Orion skyquest XT8i or XT10i. By spending that much money, I didn't like the idea of purchasing it online from their website without seeing it in person (and not having the reassurance of being able to take it back) and looked for stores in the UK that would supply them. After plenty of research, it seems like they don't exist anymore and they are only in the US? Is this right or could anyone help me?
      (I've looked at the Sky-watcher 250PX/200PX flextube skyscan goto but it is significantly heavier and the noise of the goto mechanism sounds like a table saw so that's put me off of it...)
      Any help would be much appreciated,
      Thanks
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.