SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Veil Nebula with Bino’s ?? Doable ??

Hello. Just got myself a set of TS optics 16x70 Bino’s and wondered if the Veil nebula could be seen with them without filters. 

I do have a Castelli O III filter - if I  bought a second one would this help  - ( I have eyepiece sets to use in the Bino’s ) 

thank you.  John 

Yes is the short answer...

On La Palma, under a clear, 21.5 dark sky I saw the East Veil portion on 2 consecutive mornings this March. I was using LightQuest 16x70s without filters. I'd been out for a long while each time, so pretty well adapted. I couldn't discern anything of the West portion either session. But I could make out the East, albeit faintly...

Good luck...

Certainly doable under suitable conditions, preferably tripod mounted. You don't need two filters for binocular use, a combination of filtered and unfiltered images may well give the best results.

As above, I've seen the Eastern loop of the Veil with 11x70 binoculars, without filters, on a very dark night from my back yard. It's not an easy binocular target (for me at least) and it helps that I know just where to look for it. It's quite a large object - the Eastern portion (the brightest part) is around 1.5 degrees in length I think.

I’ve done it with Canon 15x50IS stabilised binoculars and a combination of OIII and UHC filters. That was in Dorset I think, so probably Mag 20.5 skies and like others it was only the Eastern part.

I have spotted the Eastern Veil quite readily with my Helios Apollo 15x70 from a dark site. Under very good conditions I even got a few glimpses of the Western Veil, but never enough to be really, really sure (only because I had an 80mm scope with UHC filters at hand did I really confirm its location). I am curious to see how my LightQuest 16x80s fare on the object coming summer from southern France

As above, given good dark transparent skies, my 10x50s can reveal the brighter (less dim) eastern Veil.

Under similar conditions, my 70mm Pronto at 18x does a good job too. To see structure, rather than a hazy streak, needs as much aperture as poss, plus a nebula filter if you have one.

When I started in astronomy, late 70s, seeing the Veil was regarded as very challenging, but time has proved that it’s not so hard, given good conditions.

Ed.

Hello all and thank you for the replies. Sounds like this a mission for me over the next few months. 

Was not aware of the “ one eyed filter method” LOL 

LookIng to set up an RDF onto my Bino’s as stage one. 

Maybe a new thread soon fishing for advice with this. 

Clear skies all.  John 

11 minutes ago, Telescope40 said:

“ one eyed filter method”

I prefer to think of it as the one filter method ;);)

Finding it should be straightforward. Locate 52 Cygni which is naked eye visible under a decent sky ie not always mine! and with anything around a 3 or 4 degree field of view the Eastern Veil will be there if you put 52 Cygni in the right place in the field of view

C4B940EA-0369-4801-8176-65E5396BEC97.png

Not sure how you calculate the light gathering power of bins, but this suggests worth trying with my Celestron 8x50s under dark skies?

I've seen andromeda with them

Other than star clusters, which DSOs are sensible targets for bins? NAN? M50? M27?

Archived