SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

2018-05-29 - Wow! my very best Jupiter observation

N3ptune

Has the topic, in 3 years of astronomy this was the most impressive observation of Jupiter,( the face without the GRS) a very important event for me! The conditions were visually looking pretty bad with a low water vapour haze 10 degrees high from the ground, there was even a halo around the moon ? what do you know..?  Jupiter was a bit over that blanket of vapour.

The planet details were clear like crystal and very stable, the observation was done with my new very best friend, the incredible Fujiyama 6mm HD-OR. I think the atmospheric condition will play so much in the equation, for the amateur with small telescope, more then aperture probably, it's all about the right conditions.

This is my sketch bellow, the log of that incredible observation and my most detailed sketch up to this date, done with the 200 x 1000 Newtonian. For a part of the sketch, the 80a filter was installed at the eyepiece to enhance the brown parts of the bands, it gave good results while cutting a bit of overall resolution.

There were 2 very large festoons, blue clouds, illustrated in my sketch and some very obvious dark spots all around the bands, an impressive definition of each bands including the secondary bands, they were incredibly visible.

This is it! ?

oKdNw9Z.jpg

I hope you like the sketch, thanks for reading and watching

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome news.. thats what we live for, Planetary detail so crisp and clear where it's near impossible to pull our eye off the eyepiece....

My best view of Jupiter was through my 14" dob at 480X.. the amount of detail was staggering, I was lucky enough to see the GRS with shading with it....

Excellent report and sketch N3ptune. Much as I'm mainly an astrophotographer, there still is nothing to beat seeing targets like Jupiter at the eyepice under good seeing conditions. My best ever imaging session of Jupiter a few weeks ago was followed by maybe 30-45 mins using various eyepieces and I was blown away at what I could see. Photos are great at extracting more detail and for a permanent record, but experiencing it live at the eyepiece is something else...?

@MarsG76
My best view of Jupiter was through my 14" dob at 480X.. the amount of detail was staggering, I was lucky enough to see the GRS with shading with it....

? Wow a crisp 480x I believe you, the planetary experience of a life time without a doubt. Do you have a sketch of that?

@Alan White
Clearly its made an impression with you.
That sketch is amazingly good, nice detail .

Thanks! totally yes I am still impressed tonight, 1  day later and I had a good day at the work too. (Usually I am good at work the next day following a good astronomy session ?)

@Stu
It was about time I get good quality views of Jupiter, It was worth the time and the observation was very fast too.. perfect fast executed polar alignment.. perfect temperature, not too much mosquitoes, impressive collimation. comfort at the eyepiece.. it felt almost strange, too perfect. ?

@geoflewis
Visual + sketching is a strong experience. I believe taking good shots and doing an impressive processing work must provide the same kind of satisfaction too.

@ruud
Oh my god a medal! ? thank you (;

Wow that thread was popular all because of Jupiter! ?

Thanks for all the kind messages and for looking at my sketch.

2 hours ago, N3ptune said:

Do you have a sketch of that?

Not a sketch but after I looked through the 14" and saw that, I did take a picture.

Planets here are at about 80° high at the highest point, so it's at the optimal viewing position so I had those kind of views a few times this  Jupiter season.

YIIW1322.jpg

Planets here are at about 80° high at the highest point, so it's at the optimal viewing position so I had those kind of views a few times this  Jupiter season.

Nice picture, you also have details of the 2 moons which is of high value too impressive details. @ 80 degrees high that making thing even more interesting ?

On 30 May 2018 at 04:19, N3ptune said:

There were 2 very large festoons, blue clouds, illustrated in my sketch and some very obvious dark spots all around the bands, an impressive definition of each bands including t

A lovely sketch and some impressive detail. You must have had a great time. I have heard that haziness can often mean good seeing, have never tried myself in haze but will remember for the future. I also had a session once with amazing detail which blew my socks off, managed a biro sketch which I didn't really want to share!

38 minutes ago, RobertI said:

A lovely sketch and some impressive detail. You must have had a great time. I have heard that haziness can often mean good seeing, have never tried myself in haze but will remember for the future. I also had a session once with amazing detail which blew my socks off, managed a biro sketch which I didn't really want to share!

The two factors seeing and transparency seem to dislike each other! Often nights of excellent transparency have less good seeing and a high haze indicates a steady atmosphere and good seeing. Hazy nights can make excellent planetary/lunar nights and the good transparency makes for good DSO nights (roughly speaking)

On 30/05/2018 at 04:19, N3ptune said:

Has the topic, in 3 years of astronomy this was the most impressive observation of Jupiter,( the face without the GRS) a very important event for me! The conditions were visually looking pretty bad with a low water vapour haze 10 degrees high from the ground, there was even a halo around the moon ? what do you know..?  Jupiter was a bit over that blanket of vapour.

The planet details were clear like crystal and very stable, the observation was done with my new very best friend, the incredible Fujiyama 6mm HD-OR. I think the atmospheric condition will play so much in the equation, for the amateur with small telescope, more then aperture probably, it's all about the right conditions.

This is my sketch bellow, the log of that incredible observation and my most detailed sketch up to this date, done with the 200 x 1000 Newtonian. For a part of the sketch, the 80a filter was installed at the eyepiece to enhance the brown parts of the bands, it gave good results while cutting a bit of overall resolution.

There were 2 very large festoons, blue clouds, illustrated in my sketch and some very obvious dark spots all around the bands, an impressive definition of each bands including the secondary bands, they were incredibly visible.

This is it! ?

oKdNw9Z.jpg

I hope you like the sketch, thanks for reading and watching

Brilliant, looks like you had a great session. Loads of detail. :)

@mark81
It should happen to you eventually!

@Dave1 @mariosi
Thanks (;

@RobertI and @Stu
I believe it now these hazy nights can be good! That's a new atmospheric factor to monitor from now on. Just fort that, I created a new log sheet with a cloud section on it so I can input cloud data  has well has seeing and transparency.

It should help. It's perhaps my 6th model of log sheet in 3 years and by far my favourite to this day.

kmyFCQf.png?1

I suspect the new eyepiece is playing a key role in this too, the new Orthoscopic with a magnification of 167x, I normally use 212x or 143x. The new one is almost in the mid point of that (the real mid point would be 177x), it's pushing the maximum power while retaining the maximum resolution, 212x is always a bit too much for Jupiter and other planets except the moon.

Wow, a beautiful sketch, in the MCT 150 looks almost the same except for "festoons". You drew them separated from the equatorial belt, in MCT they are more "hugged" to him, there must be good conditions to at least separate them from the belt at least in moments.

Archived