SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter 27/05/2018

Dave1

Hello everyone,

Here is my first attempt at a colour sketch. From the 27/05/2018. The sketch is from quite early on in the session. As the night progressed more detail came into view. Because my sketching isn't quick enough I might start doing extend disc strip drawings so that I can include all the detail I see in one session. I also have a charcoal beginners set to start experimenting with. For now I will stick with colour.

The observation session transparency was very good, and seeing was good to very good. First time I've manages to see Festoons! With an 80mm. I actually wished I had my Skylight 4" telescope out. 

In the sketch I tried to depict two white cloud bands, North of NED toward the north pole after NTB. NED was nice and clear, NTB was aswell. The festoons extend and curled back toward SEB. I could I think either see SEB or SsEB.

DSC_0310.JPG

Thanks guys. It is very hard to see that detail with an 80mm telescope. Have to spend a long time looking. Sometimes when I first see a detail, I think did I really see that! Take my eye away from the eyepiece, and keep double checking for awhile before I add the detail to the sketch.

Nice sketch Dave! :thumbsup:

Did you look directly through your refractor or was a diagonal used? I'm just curious because its rare to see such strong festoons emanating from the SEB, but it would be perfect if north were top, as in a diagonal view. The two bright zones you've drawn also leads me to think north may be top in the sketch. I hope you don't mind my question Dave. I could be entirely wrong of course!

Hi Mike 

I don't mind the questions at all. It helps me to learn. 

I used a diagonal. So I guess I've been putting North and south on the wrong sides? I have often wondered. 

Dave

10 hours ago, Dave1 said:

Hi Mike 

I don't mind the questions at all. It helps me to learn. 

I used a diagonal. So I guess I've been putting North and south on the wrong sides? I have often wondered. 

Dave

That makes sense Dave. The drawing is excellent and your observing skill is beyond question, especially considering you were using an 80mm scope. I really look forward to seeing more of your planetary sketches soon. :icon_cyclops_ani:

Thanks for the complement Mike, My Tal filters have arrived today. So I will try some of them out next observing session, hopefully I will see even more detail :)

Archived