Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sun Ha Work from May 28th UPDATED

Lowjiber

Any reason for using Regi for the non AR surfaces and using ImPPG for the surface with the AR?

Have you tried "adaptive" in ImPPG for the proms as that will allow you to sharpen the proms but not the background and hence reduce the noise in the darker background.

23 hours ago, Freddie said:

Any reason for using Regi for the non AR surfaces and using ImPPG for the surface with the AR?.

Have you tried "adaptive" in ImPPG for the proms as that will allow you to sharpen the proms but not the background and hence reduce the noise in the darker background.

There is no concrete reason.  The two surfaces in those shots were pretty much void of any extraordinary details, so I just did a normal RS process on them.

I'm pretty sure that I still have the original stacks.  I'll definitely give "adaptive" a try today.  While I'm at it, I'll put the surface in IMPPG as well and (Hopefully) post the results.

Thanks much for the adaptive-tip.

Clear Skies

ADDED LATER...

Freddie, I reworked the surface with the one below, per your question.

I also played around with "adaptive" for the prom, but never felt comfortable with it.  I'll give it some practice in future captures.

Thanks again

28 MAY 2018  SECOND CAPTURE.jpg

15 hours ago, Freddie said:

Anything in particular you were not comfortable with?

I couldn't get my head around the "scale" of "Threshold" and "Transition width".

In PS, I never use Un-sharp Mask and only rarely use Smart Sharpen, relying instead on sometimes multiple passes of a High Pass filter (set to around 1.2 pixels) when working on proms.  I guess I just need more practice using the unsharp masking feature of IMPPG.

After posting the one above, I did work on a very faint lift-off that I had laying around from earlier in the week... getting quite a bit more aggressive.  I think it will just take some time to become comfortable with  the functions.  In this meager attempt, I only did the proms and just stuck the previously prepared surface that was still in my drive.

SUPER DIM LIFTOFF.jpg

Stick with it John, you'll soon get the hang of the settings. I think ImPPG and no sharpen or high pass filters will give you the better results. It looks like the PS stuff is oversharpening and showing some noise. I assume you have a VERY low gain setting during capture so the initial unsharpened image should be pretty much noise free.

What ImPPG settings do you use for your surface shots?

21 hours ago, Freddie said:

... What ImPPG settings do you use for your surface shots?

As I may have mentioned, I don't do many surface shots other than ARs in IMPPG.

When I do, I usually set the Sigma around 2.0, 500 iterations, and No Ringing checked.

When using ImPPG (I use it for all my solar work and find it gives better results than other sharpening tools) I think you would get much better results by reducing the iterations to ~50 and keeping Sigma well below 2.0. Give it a go and see what you think.  

On 04/06/2018 at 11:44, Freddie said:

When using ImPPG (I use it for all my solar work and find it gives better results than other sharpening tools) I think you would get much better results by reducing the iterations to ~50 and keeping Sigma well below 2.0. Give it a go and see what you think.  

Thanks for the tip.  I'll give it whirl next time I have something to work with... clouds willing. LOL

Archived