Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Custom Procedure Codes to send mount to USA?

Hi everybody, I have a Mach1 Astro-Physics mount which needs to go back to the USA for some repairs. I booked up TNT courier, and it was picked up on Friday but I've just found out that it is sat in their depot since there is no Custom Procedure Code (CPC) stated on the documents - rather odd since neither TNT, nor any of their forms asked for a CPC code. Anyhow, I phoned up TNT and they just passed the buck and asked me to contact the HMRC, which I've done, but apparently they cannot give me a direct CPC number since it's not allowed - so I'm stuck at the moment. Does anybody have a clue about what CPC number should be used to send by courier a mount from the UK to USA for repairs? Bit of a long-shot I know, but any help here would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Martin

Have you looked on HMRCs confusing website, I think there is a list of codes somewhere, I had the same problem sending the Quark back to Daystar as it didn't fit any of their neat pigeon holes and they didn't know what a Solar filter was.

Sat in UPS depot for a week and UPS sorted it in the end, would have thought TNT could be more helpful, do they actually have a space on their doc's to fill it in ?

Sending it is only half the battle, wait until you have to try and get  HMRC to part with it on return :)

Dave

Hi Dave, I did indeed phone up the HMRC, they directed me thorough half a dozen web-links and appendixes until I reached a 114 page document of complete gobble-de-gook about Custom Procedure Codes. I appealed to the HMRC chap if he could help further, explaining exactly what I was trying to send, but apparently he's only allowed to offer guidance nothing more and this stops at this huge document which reads like complete nonsense to a layman. So at the moment I'm stuck! As I mentioned, nothing in any of the TNT paperwork had a box, or even requested entry of a CPC code yet this is compulsory it seems, so I'm not impressed with them. 

Martin

Hi Dave, just seen your last post with a possible CPC number - maybe this is right, but the HMRC chap did mention to me the wording "Outward Processing Relief", whatever that is (?), and that this could have a bearing on my choice of CPC code. Still completely in the dark here.....

Martin

35 minutes ago, Martin-Devon said:

Hi Dave, just seen your last post with a possible CPC number - maybe this is right, but the HMRC chap did mention to me the wording "Outward Processing Relief", whatever that is (?), and that this could have a bearing on my choice of CPC code. Still completely in the dark here.....

Martin

342113103_HMRCCPC2.PNG.c8d540c98f923fb93e6eb48e6fdb3a07.PNG

Thanks again Dave for your inputs here, as you say it's quite possibly a CPC code starting with 21 but eventually has to be a 7-digit code, which i now find out breaks down into 2 sets of 2 digit codes and 1 set of 3 digit codes making up the final 7 digit, so there are three pieces of information built into each code!

Mike - I have written an email to Astro-Physics in USA, they helped initially asking me to write "REPAIR - USA ORIGIN" on the paperwork, which I did, but they also never mentioned anything about a CPC code. I've now asked them specifically if they can advise here, but given the time difference it will be late in the day before I can expect any reply from them. 

I'm more annoyed with TNT to be honest. They clearly knew that i was sending a package from UK to USA, then having collected it and holding it in their depot, only now they tell me that a CPC code is needed - yet nothing whatsoever on their paperwork mentioning or asking for a CPC code, and when I contact them all they do is tell me to talk to the HMRC!

Martin

Hi Martin

I would agree that it looks like 21 00 004 is the CPC code you will need to use as this is the code for temporarily exporting goods outside the EU for repair.  I doubt astrophysics will know this and only understand the American side of things so that duties aren't charged on the way in by the US. It does look like you have to complete and 'outward processing relief' form though before it heads out.  Are TNT doing this on your behalf as an agent, otherwise you will have to do this yourself.  

Sorry to to hear about the Mach1 - what's wrong with it?

Hi Ian - with Dave & your help, it's looking like 21 00 004 is likely the right CPC code. The problem now is the 'outward processing relief' form, on which this CPC code has to be entered. I've just phoned up TNT again, and apparently they cannot issue this form (typical), instead only the HMRC can do this so I'm back on the phone again shortly to them trying to see if they can send me one. 

Ian - the problem with my Mach1 is the RA gearbox. I had a few occasional problems with the need to re-mesh the RA axis every couple of months, so I decided to take the RA gearbox off, and strip it down, which turned out to be a silly thing to do since various springs and spur gears readily came apart but didn't go back together so easily! The net result was a very noisy RA gearbox, which doesn't sound right at all, yet remarkably it still tracks and slews perfectly, but inevitably with the noise it's making something is going to give sooner or later. So the fault is all mine in the making. I emailed George at AP, and he recommended a proper repair and service, which I'm happy about, I've had it 6 years so far and it's been a brilliant mount - just need to sort this blinking courier business out!   

Thanks everybody for your inputs.

Martin

On 29 May 2018 at 15:25, Martin-Devon said:

Hi Ian - with Dave & your help, it's looking like 21 00 004 is likely the right CPC code. The problem now is the 'outward processing relief' form, on which this CPC code has to be entered. I've just phoned up TNT again, and apparently they cannot issue this form (typical), instead only the HMRC can do this so I'm back on the phone again shortly to them trying to see if they can send me one. 

Ian - the problem with my Mach1 is the RA gearbox. I had a few occasional problems with the need to re-mesh the RA axis every couple of months, so I decided to take the RA gearbox off, and strip it down, which turned out to be a silly thing to do since various springs and spur gears readily came apart but didn't go back together so easily! The net result was a very noisy RA gearbox, which doesn't sound right at all, yet remarkably it still tracks and slews perfectly, but inevitably with the noise it's making something is going to give sooner or later. So the fault is all mine in the making. I emailed George at AP, and he recommended a proper repair and service, which I'm happy about, I've had it 6 years so far and it's been a brilliant mount - just need to sort this blinking courier business out!   

Thanks everybody for your inputs.

Martin

Ah well, live and learn.  I think the gear boxes are meant to be reseated once in a while anyway.  Never really had any issues with the ra, but the Dec was by far too tightly bound when it arrived (likely knocked in transit).  So I had to seat that one a few times until I got it right. The first tries it came lose quickly and concluded I was being a bit too timid,. However note to myself don't try and strip down the gearbox! Good to hear you are still happy with it though.

Archived