Narrowband

JamesF's observatory build

JamesF

17 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Dinner is over however, and I think I'm coming to the conclusion that I shall drop the height of the walls.  I have realised that my initial calculations were based on the OTA being "above" the mount whereas it might actually be to the side, so I need to allow for that.  Other than the doorway it doesn't have an enormous impact elsewhere, so I think it's the right decision.

James

I wrestled with this for ages with my design. I eventually decided to keep the walls at ~1800. I modelled this based on a Newtonian OTA and had considered it being to the side of the mount. My main scopes will now be a frac and an SCT, with the EP at the bottom of the OTA instead of the top and I'm now considering adding an extension to my pillar to raise the mount! (but I'm going to see how it fairs once the obsy is operational)…..but at least I can walk in the door without having to stoop too low ? 

My plastic shed is 6 foot X 6 foot with 6 foot wall height housing an SCT on a wedge on a meter high pier, this is generally OK but I made the pier motorised with an electric ram that raises it another 300mm to clear the side at lower dec' and I need this ATM to view / image the planets at present.

Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davey-T said:

My plastic shed is 6 foot X 6 foot with 6 foot wall height housing an SCT on a wedge on a meter high pier, this is generally OK but I made the pier motorised with an electric ram that raises it another 300mm to clear the side at lower dec' and I need this ATM to view / image the planets at present.

Dave

I've been looking at actuators, is there a thread on how you did this?  Interested in what you used mechanically to get a precision lift, was it a telescopic pier?

Made it myself out of 200mm square steel tube and some lengths of 75mm angle, basically 4 lengths of angle concreted in the ground with the tube fitted over them and the ram inside lifting it.

It has four locking bolts in slots each side to lock it at any height, got it fully raised ATM viewing Jupiter but the seeing is rubbish with surrounding roof tops giving off the heat from the day.

Got the actuator from these folks it's 12 volt https://gimsonrobotics.co.uk/

I had a video of it going up and down somewhere but can't find it, can take one tomorrow if you're interested.

Dave

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Astrokev said:

I wrestled with this for ages with my design. I eventually decided to keep the walls at ~1800. I modelled this based on a Newtonian OTA and had considered it being to the side of the mount. My main scopes will now be a frac and an SCT, with the EP at the bottom of the OTA instead of the top and I'm now considering adding an extension to my pillar to raise the mount! (but I'm going to see how it fairs once the obsy is operational)…..but at least I can walk in the door without having to stoop too low ? 

From memory I think your pier is about 400mm taller than mine will be, so if my wall height is reduced to about 1300mm then that probably means they're about the same in relation to each other, especially allowing for the fact that my piers are closer to the walls than yours.

It's been raining this morning however, so there's still time for me to change my mind :D

James

Photos of yesterday's progress.  Again a little dark due to the lateness of the hour.  The stake next to the block in the corner is about the same height as I expect the mount body to be.  The bit of wood fixed to the outside of the frame is the height of a 1500mm wall.

James

obsy-build-21.jpg

obsy-build-22.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, Astrokev said:

Rain ?  What's that? ?

Where are you?

Just off the eastern edge of Exmoor.  At the moment there's a finger of cloud curled around over Somerset, Devon and Cornwall.  Looks like it might clear up later though, and it's not bad enough to stop them playing cricket next door.

James

We've had rain too.  Woke up at 5am and it was chucking it down.  Stopped now but dull and cloudy.  Looked like brightening up earlier but now it's solid cloud cover.

Light_002.thumb.png.3fd9fb8099e3ef029b5e437c0b396acd.pngLight_008.thumb.png.49073f41defd2f16b4621e2b964cd673.png

Since you haven't yet started the top of your observatory, you might like to consider having one side lower as well as a drop-down flap at one end.

2010949010_MountedonROR05.thumb.png.5e068604e23c65335441b0d0c459a82e.png

Edited by Gina
  • Like 1

I intend to have a flap that drops down at the south west end (facing the house).  I still haven't fully decided how that is going to work.  For me I think it makes sense to have the walls the same height though.

James

1 hour ago, Gina said:

Since you haven't yet started the top of your observatory, you might like to consider having one side lower as well as a drop-down flap at one end.

I toyed with having a drop down flap but eventually decided against it. It's a good idea though. I may regret not fitting one. I could probably retrofit one later if I felt it would add value but it's a lot of effort for only a small extra bit of sky I'd get between the house and next doors pine tree. 

Partly I think it depends on your wall height.  If you have lower walls then a flap can make sense because it makes it easier to have the roof clear the kit.  With taller walls that's often not a problem, so you might only have a flap if the wall obstructs a view you particularly want.

The rain has stopped here, though the sky is looking very dark towards the south west.  The Sun did briefly make an appearance which just ramped up the humidity no end :(

I've gone back to debating my wall heights :D  I might end up setting a tripod up with the NEQ6 over the pier and see how it looks.

James

• Like 2

Evidence-based design always being best, between showers this afternoon I did finally get the tripod and NEQ6 set up, with a bit of malformed roofing batten as a pointer that I could set at the level of the top of the 1500mm walls.

obsy-build-23.jpg

obsy-build-24.jpg

obsy-build-25.jpg

As a result I decided that I really needn't worry about the wall height and could stick with my original design.  Obviously in the second photo there's sky that will be obscured by the wall, but actually that's below 30 degrees and only going to be visible for a short period of time so not really worth worrying about.

James

• Like 1

As to "real" progress today... A bit limited really, but I was determined to make some visible change no matter how small.  I had a few bits of scrap 18mm ply that used to be part of the cricket club scorer's hut.  I've put those on top of the joists just to give me something easier to stand on.  More importantly however, I have most of one end wall in place!

obsy-build-26.jpg

obsy-build-27.jpg

It still needs some bracing and suchlike, but by this point I'd run out of charged batteries for my cordless screwdriver so I'll get those done during the week.  I also cut all the wood for the other end wall.

I did consider doing the wall on the left in the bottom photo first as it would be easier to get into position first, but it will be nearly 5m long and has the support for the rolling roof rail.  The "beer shack" walls are of similar construction and length (though slightly taller) and the long sides were a pig to get into place without anything to support them, so I'm hoping that having the end walls already in place will make life easier this time around.

James

• Like 3

On Monday I got some more timber cut to size and stacked up in the workshop.  Didn't have time for anything else sadly.  Today between dinner and leaving to pick my daughter up from her (school) house dinner I managed to get a fair bit of the studding for one of the long sides constructed and fixed in place.  It would be nice if I could get that done tomorrow.  Probably ought to get the bracing in the end wall first though, so I have something square to work to when I fix them together.

I have managed to do something painful to my left arm/shoulder, probably as a result of using myself as a "human clamp" whilst fixing things together.  It's feeling a little better now, but I think it might take a little while to recover fully.  I'll do things the sensible way next time.

James